Hank F.
Hank F., Technician
Experience:  Certified on Onan and Generac generators
19372534

I purchased a buffalo tools 13hp air cooled LP gas engine

Customer Question

I purchased a buffalo tools 13hp air cooled LP gas engine generator 7000/6000 watt
kept in storage for 6 months -- hooked up LP gas and cranked it electric start.
started and ran for 15 minutes backfired and quit . Called the co due to the fact I could not produce a reciet --paid cash --could not get Home depot to trace or give me proof of
purchase -- Buffalo refused to honor warranty ---
I opened the OVH valve cover and noticed the intake valve had broken droped into the
piston and up stroke drove it thru the head .
ordered a new head and w/gaskets new intake valve ect. installed changed oil 10w-30
started it up ran 11 minutes perfect --intake valve broke again --- valves set according
to buffalo email intake 0.15 exh 0.20
what is the problem??
Submitted: 1 month ago.
Category: Small Engine
Expert:  Hank F. replied 1 month ago.

You do realize that 0.15 and 0.20 are metric readings right?

In inches, those readings are .006" and .008". Having valves that loose would create a lot of valve slap, and could easily break valves.

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
i set it in metric
Expert:  Hank F. replied 1 month ago.

It is very odd that it would have done that twice like that.

Buffalo Tools is not what you would call a quality unit at all. It could be about anything from inferior materials, to parts tolerance being out of spec.

If you installed a new head and new valves, and I assume new push rods, then the problem is in the manufacturing. There is no reason that all new parts, on an OHV engine, should do the same thing again.

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
I installed new push rods. New head-- the valve spring and keeper and intake valve came installed in head --- the head broke on valve just like the first one Is there any other reason a valve would break?
Expert:  Hank F. replied 1 month ago.

There is nothing connecting the lower engine to the head, other than the pushrods.

If a valve keeps breaking, it has to be faulty material, or a machining issue with the head/valves.