Hank F.
Hank F., Technician
Experience:  Certified on Onan and Generac generators

I purchased a buffalo tools 13hp air cooled LP gas engine

Customer Question

I purchased a buffalo tools 13hp air cooled LP gas engine generator 7000/6000 watt
kept in storage for 6 months -- hooked up LP gas and cranked it electric start.
started and ran for 15 minutes backfired and quit . Called the co due to the fact I could not produce a reciet --paid cash --could not get Home depot to trace or give me proof of
purchase -- Buffalo refused to honor warranty ---
I opened the OVH valve cover and noticed the intake valve had broken droped into the
piston and up stroke drove it thru the head .
ordered a new head and w/gaskets new intake valve ect. installed changed oil 10w-30
started it up ran 11 minutes perfect --intake valve broke again --- valves set according
to buffalo email intake 0.15 exh 0.20
what is the problem??
Submitted: 11 days ago.
Category: Small Engine
Expert:  Hank F. replied 11 days ago.

You do realize that 0.15 and 0.20 are metric readings right?

In inches, those readings are .006" and .008". Having valves that loose would create a lot of valve slap, and could easily break valves.

Customer: replied 11 days ago.
i set it in metric
Expert:  Hank F. replied 11 days ago.

It is very odd that it would have done that twice like that.

Buffalo Tools is not what you would call a quality unit at all. It could be about anything from inferior materials, to parts tolerance being out of spec.

If you installed a new head and new valves, and I assume new push rods, then the problem is in the manufacturing. There is no reason that all new parts, on an OHV engine, should do the same thing again.

Customer: replied 11 days ago.
I installed new push rods. New head-- the valve spring and keeper and intake valve came installed in head --- the head broke on valve just like the first one Is there any other reason a valve would break?
Expert:  Hank F. replied 10 days ago.

There is nothing connecting the lower engine to the head, other than the pushrods.

If a valve keeps breaking, it has to be faulty material, or a machining issue with the head/valves.