Pete, Technician
Experience:  17 years automotive training and experience.
14928985

I have a 12K Generac ModelSer # 6385311 that I purchased in

Customer Question

I have a 12K Generac Model(###) ###-####Ser #(###) ###-####that I purchased in Nov. 2011. It performed perfectly until the last few weeks. It now continues to start for an unknown reason because the center fuse #BBS-5 blows. Can you help me?
R. Rozendal
Submitted: 1 month ago.
Category: Small Engine
Expert:  Pete replied 1 month ago.

My name is ***** ***** I am a professional here at Just Answer. I noticed that your question had not received a response and thought I would see if you still need help with this.I apologize for the delay and I hope I can still assist you with this here.My info is somewhat limited on your model here but I had seen no one else has responded and would like to see if I can help here.If at any time you feel that I cannot help with this please let me know.

If you have not inspected for any shorted or damaged wiring at all this needs done.I have seen shorted or damaged wiring cause shorts to fuses like this here needing repaired or replaced.If this is or was checked and found to be o.k. let me know so we can continue before rating my help here.

If more help is needed, use the reply tab to continue our conversation. If no further assistance is needed, kindly rate my service,your 5 star rating is appreciated.You can rate at any time and we can continue to work on your question as this will not close out your question.Keep in mind in some cases it can be difficult to fully diagnose or help repair your vehicle without seeing it and I work on delivering the best possible answer from what I see to work with.

Thanks Pete

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
Pete, A Generac tech completely inspected my house generator and panel a few days ago but could not find any shorts or other problems with the system. He installed another BBS-5 fuse and told me to monitor the unit for a month and tell him if
the problem arises again. That means I still don't know why the unit blew three fuses over the past month. Thanks for your
reply to my problem. Ray
Expert:  Pete replied 1 month ago.

Its very possible a component is heating up and starting to draw more amperage then normal requiring replacement.I know in some cases the generator has to be run and monitored by a technician for a period of time to see if a component is drawing to many amps causing this issue here.This may not be a short but instead one of the electrical components drawing to many amps as the component may be wearing out needing replaced.

Let me know if you need anything else and feel free to rate my help here as this is how I receive credit for my time.Your 5 star rating is appreciated

Thanks Pete