Hank F.
Hank F., Technician
Experience:  Certified on Onan and Generac generators
19372534

I have a Generac 20kw Generator 1205 - over speed When the

Customer Question

I have a Generac 20kw Generator 1205 - over speed
When the power goes out, it will kick on, run for about thirty seconds and kickoff with this error code. We lose power up here really frequently and with winter looming and Amicalola EMC having planned outages to move wires, we are doomed. My wife is all but bedridden and no power means an unhappy wife :)
JA: What's the make and model of the generator? And can you guesstimate how old it is?
Customer: Generac 20kwmodel number 006729
JA: Do you plan on doing the work yourself?
Customer: serial(###) ###-####Depends on what is wrong
JA: Anything else we should know to help you best?
Customer: Every time the power goes out, the Generator kicks on for 30 seconds then shuts off giving error 1205 - overspeed
Submitted: 1 month ago.
Category: Small Engine
Expert:  Hank F. replied 1 month ago.

Code 1205 means that the engine is running too fast. There are several things that can cause this.

But your unit is still under warranty until Jan 1, 2020. If you attempt to work on this yourself, you will void your warranty.

Your best option is to contact an authorized Generac repair facility, and have them repair it under warranty.

If you need help finding your nearest Generac repair center, just get me your ZIP code.

Expert:  Hank F. replied 1 month ago.

Did you decide what you are going to do?