Curtis B.
Curtis B., Technician
Experience:  have worked on and around most engine models for 35 yrs./Polaris ATV expert

Got a Briggs and Stratton Model 01919 generator that wont

Customer Question

Got a Briggs and Stratton Model 01919 generator that wont start. Have trouble shot it down to the on/off switch. attempted to measure voltage and acutally got it to start on residual fuel in carb (total surprise!) and looking for wiring diagram. Believe the oil sensor, magneto, and coil are all OK, but the switch is questionable
JA: Do you have fuel in the tank? If so, is the shut-off valve open and the fuel clean?
Customer: Roger that. and just had carb gaskets redone. Stated and ran OK with the switch out of line, and voltmeter measuring voltage (attempting) from white wire to ground.
JA: Do you plan on doing the work yourself?
Customer: Yup
JA: Anything else we should know to help you best?
Customer: Know my way around electricity very well
Submitted: 17 days ago.
Category: Small Engine
Expert:  Curtis B. replied 16 days ago.

Welcome to JUST ANSWER small engines, let me try to help you !! I don't know it all, but maybe together we can get you a satisfactory answer!

Expert:  Curtis B. replied 16 days ago.

On/ Off switch is just a grounding switch. It grounds out the kill circuit , which shorts out the engine coil. So if it will run with the kill wire removed from the coil, the problem will be the oil pressure switch or the kil switch, yo say oil pressure switch checks out, so it has to be the keyswitch or harness to it.