Curtis B.
Curtis B., Technician
Experience:  have worked on and around most engine models for 35 yrs./Polaris ATV expert
30244710

My craftsman pro compressor won't run. 220 breaker good.

Customer Question

My craftsman pro compressor won't run. 220 breaker good. Voltage good. Switch seems to work. No pressure on the tank. Has run flawlessly for a year. Capacitor?
Submitted: 1 month ago.
Category: Small Engine
Expert:  Curtis B. replied 1 month ago.

Welcome to JUST ANSWER small engines, let me try to help you !! I don't know it all, but maybe together we can get you a satisfactory answer!

Expert:  Curtis B. replied 1 month ago.

Capacitor has to start the motor. But are you using voltmeter to see if the pressure switch is closing and sending voltage to the capacitor for start?

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
Curtis, I have not put a volt meter on the pressure switch. I'll try to do that today and reply. Thank you.
Expert:  Curtis B. replied 1 month ago.

OK> Thanks!

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
Curtis,Went out back to check the compressor out. I can confirm:
1. There is power at the wall
2. There is power at the switch
3. Switch is operating properly. Output is off in off position, ON in on position. Voltage correct.
4. There are two capicitors on top, one on the side.
5. No voltage to one on side capacitor
6. Voltage to one capacitor on top, not the other
7. No voltage on the reset switch...... which is pushed in.
Do you need a photo?
Expert:  Curtis B. replied 1 month ago.

Picture or model number! Need to determine which is start capacitor and which is run capacitor, The start capacitor needs to be replaced.

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
Item # 00916578000P Model # WV5048055
Craftsman Professional 80 Gallon 5 RHP Oil-Lubricated Professional Air Compressor 175 Max PSI (230V Two Stage)
Customer: replied 1 month ago.
Here is the photo of the caps. the black one on top has power in and out
Expert:  Curtis B. replied 1 month ago.

The MFD rating should be much higher than the run capacitor. I don't find a parts list for the capacitors. If it were mine, I would take picture of capacitor wiring and make a diagram. Then take the to capacitors to electrical supply , and have them test and identify which is the run capacitor.

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
here is the model number etc
Expert:  Curtis B. replied 1 month ago.

Or flip them over so I can see the ratings!

Expert:  Curtis B. replied 1 month ago.

The motor parts are not shown, only the motor assembly.

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
are you saying the start cap will be the larger rated one? The larger "size" has voltage running through it.
Expert:  Curtis B. replied 1 month ago.

Rating is in MFD's, not physical size. The larger rating is the start capacitor.

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
got it. I'm an old speaker builder so I get that. :)
Would you agree that one with voltage running in and out is probably good. There is no voltage to the other which made me wonder if the "reset switch" on the motor was bad.
Expert:  Curtis B. replied 1 month ago.

Yes, if capacitor was working, the motor should at least hum. No hum makes me think it is capacitor.

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
okay, thank you Curtis
Expert:  Curtis B. replied 1 month ago.

Thank you! Please use the 5 star rating system to close the question and get me credit!

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
well, no offense, but you really didn't answer the issue. I already knew it might be what we discussed. Your answer was, take it to someone else to have them figure it out. ...... so how about we agree its been nice and I'll not input any rating. :) In my mind that is being pretty kind.
Expert:  Curtis B. replied 1 month ago.

I work from home as a contractor. You don't have to pay me, just do not rate me! I'm sure you like working for nothing.

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
I already paid you dude. Don't get a case of the "XXX" with me or I will rate you! My offer was a favor. You obviously don't understand a good thing when you see it. Please don't respond. If you do, I will rate you and you wont like it. Is that clear enough for you?