Curtis B.
Curtis B., Technician
Experience:  have worked on and around most engine models for 35 yrs./Polaris ATV expert

When I engage the pto lever the engine shuts down. The shaft

Customer Question

when I engage the pto lever the engine shuts down. The shaft seems to be seized up?
JA: Can you guesstimate how old the engine is? And has it done anything like this in the past?
Customer: the tractor is new and no it just became a problem starting with noise that became worse as the mower was running. I shut off the tractor to see if I was entangled in something. The mower and the shaft are free and clear but now the engine wont engage the shaft.
JA: Do you plan on doing the work yourself?
Customer: possibly if I can determine the problem.
JA: Anything else we should know to help you best?
Customer: not that I can think of.
Submitted: 19 days ago.
Category: Small Engine
Expert:  Curtis B. replied 19 days ago.

Welcome to JUST ANSWER small engines, let me try to help you !! I don't know it all, but maybe together we can get you a satisfactory answer!

Expert:  Curtis B. replied 19 days ago.

Does the pulley spin freely on the engine shaft with engine OFF? It should, If not, unplug the electric clutch and try again, if it is still locked, the electric pulley has failed. Bearing is locked up!

Expert:  Curtis B. replied 19 days ago.

Make and Model!!

Customer: replied 19 days ago.
The pulley does not spin freely. I can spin them in reverse but they wont spin forward.
Expert:  Curtis B. replied 19 days ago.

Make and model?Is this electric clutch pulley?

Customer: replied 19 days ago.
Kubota BX25DLB....RUNS off clutch lever.
Expert:  Curtis B. replied 19 days ago.

OK. So the pto has a pto brake, and the shaft is locked until there is pressure applied to the pto clutch. Have you checked the pto switches ? If pto switch is not good, it will kill the engine when the pto is engaged/ Switch and harness need to be examined/ Pto clutch pressure can be tested, if it appears to be pto clutch related.

Customer: replied 19 days ago.
Thank you, you've been a great help.
Expert:  Curtis B. replied 19 days ago.

I was not through, I was trying to get test procedure! See link below!