JohnF2015, Small Engine Technician
Experience:  Owner/Service Technician at S & J Small Engines

I have a Kawasaki FB460v-ES on a SW13KA that I cannot get to

Customer Question

I have a Kawasaki FB460v-ES on a SW13KA Scag that I cannot get to start. I've replaced the spark plug, fuel filter, all the gas. Seems to be getting spark. choke is closing.
JA: Do you have fuel in the tank? If so, is the shut-off valve open and the fuel clean?
Customer: Emptied the tank, opened valve.
JA: Do you plan on doing the work yourself?
Customer: I have to wait 2 weeks to get anyone local to do it. I'm an engineer who was a avaition electrician in the Coast Guard for 10 yrs, so I can do it.
JA: Anything else we should know to help you best?
Customer: What else is there? spark, fuel, air. I'm not sure if the carb is working correctly. I've tried starter fluid spray and it almost starts but won't
Submitted: 19 days ago.
Category: Small Engine
Expert:  JohnF2015 replied 19 days ago.

Hi, my name is***** will be assisting you.

The FB460 has an igniter on it that controls the spark or tells the ignition coil when to spark. It sounds like the igniter has gone bad. Since it won't even fire up when you spray it with starter fluid.

The igniter is a small about 1" square box on the side of the engine(normally starter side opposite of the carburetor), it will have one wire going to it that leads up to the ignition coil. It is most likely that this igniter has gone bad and will need to be replaced.

Customer: replied 19 days ago.
Thanks! I'll go get one now and try it out. I hope you're right!
Expert:  JohnF2015 replied 19 days ago.

That is what I have seen to be the problem on those engines most often when you start having starting issues with it.

Thank you it has been a pleasure to assist you.

If you need additional assistance you can come back here and continue our conversation.

Please take a moment to rate your experience.

Customer: replied 16 days ago.
Well, I got the engine cover off but I don't see any igniter. I looked on another websites drawing for the FB460V-ES36 and I don't see an igniter listed for this model. Am I wrong? Any other ideas?
Expert:  JohnF2015 replied 15 days ago.

On this engine they refer to it as a condenser part number 21013-2064.

I am including a diagram that shows a picture of it, it does look like it may have changed shape from some of the prior ones used on these engines.