Wayne, Engine Rebuilder
Experience:  many years on egine rebuilding, lawn mower,roto tiller,Truck,and small engines
6825259

My father owns an old dda30 generator and it it needs new

Customer Question

my father owns an old dda30 generator and it it needs new capacitors and resistors on the voltage control circuit boad (vr21 Part#(###) ###-####. i am having issues finding the onan made caps and resistors but finding them made by other brands. my questions is, is it ok to use other brand components as long as they have the correct ratings. also seeing resistors made of different materials does it matter what type of resistor to by or just need to get ones with the correct ratings?
JA: What's the make and model of the generator? And can you guesstimate how old it is?
Customer: give me a minute, I will get the model # you, thanks for the help
JA: Do you plan on doing the work yourself?
Customer: yes, I am an electrician, and have a little experience with electronics, this is an old board with plenty of room to work on and in the troubleshooting manule its says (due to how the gen is acting) its only 7 components that may be bad and specifies each one (going to check ohms and mfds before pulling them out though to make sure)
JA: Anything else we should know to help you best?
Customer: the model# ***** 0dda-15r/11275c
Category: Small Engine
Customer: replied 5 months ago.
Posted by JustAnswer at customer's request) Hello. I would like to request the following Expert Service(s) from you: Live Phone Call. Let me know if you need more information, or send me the service offer(s) so we can proceed.
Expert:  Wayne replied 5 months ago.

Hi I'm Wayne

I will help you with this

yes the brand does not matter as long as the same specs

materials mat very do to age and new product

I hope this helped you

Hi. If this helped you,

Please remember to rate my answer 3 or more stars.

I do not get paid for question, unless you rate my answer

If more info is needed, use the reply button -

NOT THE POOR/BAD SERVICE

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
hi wayne,that is good to know and thanks for the help, so the materials the resistors are made don't necessarily matter as long as its the watts and ohms rating is correct for each resistor?
Expert:  Wayne replied 5 months ago.

HI

Yes that is correct

Please remember to rate my answer

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
Hi Wayne,awesome, thanks for helping and i will definitely rate your answers but still have a few more questions.the caps on the board right now (old unit, around late 70s to early 80s) look like small grey plastic boxes. the only caps i can find online are the cylindrical type with 2 leads on one side or one lead on each side. can i use these cylindrical caps in place of the older ones as long as the soldering holes line up?
Expert:  Wayne replied 5 months ago.

HI

Yes as long as the holes line up

you can keep asking questions after a accept, follow is free

on same subject

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
thanks, ***** *****I know diodes only work one way and have to be placed the in the flow of electricity to work. do caps and resistors have to be placed a certain way like diodes?
Expert:  Wayne replied 5 months ago.

HI

No neither one of them

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
thanks,some of the site i am going to to find the caps and resistors want to know if they are for a dc or ac board, not sure what this board is. does dc or ac matter for the caps and resistors i need to get?
Expert:  Wayne replied 5 months ago.

HI

Your making AC voltage,

but does not mattter

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
ok,the gen makes ac but does the board run on that ac or is it turned to dc for running the board?
Expert:  Wayne replied 5 months ago.

Hi the board is DC

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
Wayne,thank you for your help it is very appreciated, sorry far asking so many questions but still have a few more.been able to find a few of the components (turning out to be a pain in the butt) needed to fix this board but ran into a problem with one of them. in the parts manual one of the caps is specs is .33mfd 250v. i was having a hard time trying to find one to this spec so walked out to the barn to look at it on the actual board and is printed .33k (normally k means 1000 right?). is there any difference in the spec in the parts manual and whats on the board?
Customer: replied 5 months ago.
wayne?
Customer: replied 5 months ago.
you are an expert i need you heeeelllllpppp
Customer: replied 5 months ago.
just looked it up k refers to the tolerance of the cap and is 10%
Expert:  Wayne replied 5 months ago.

HI

Sorry for delay, pick up grand kids from school

yes K is 1K and or 10%

go by what is on the board

Expert:  Wayne replied 5 months ago.

Hi

Just a follow up with you

did my answer help you

let me know, Please

Expert:  Wayne replied 5 months ago.

Morning

just checking where we are with this