JON, Small Engine Technician
Experience:  Husqvarna Service Tech

I have a 5000 generac generator that has not run for a

Customer Question

I have a 5000 generac generator that has not run for a while. I changed the spark plug and fuel filter. The tank valve appears to be open. It starts on starter fluid and runs for about 30 seconds but shuts down. Is there something I need to do such as priming, etc.?
Submitted: 22 days ago.
Category: Small Engine
Expert:  JON replied 22 days ago.

Hi, my name is ***** ***** me review the issue, and I will be more than happy to help resolve it as quickly as possible.

Expert:  JON replied 22 days ago.

If machine will start and die with fluid sprayed in it, the carb needs to be removed and cleaned as it is not pulling its own fuel due to a clogged jet. Once carb is cleaned and jet is clear of debris, you should be fine.

Let me know if you need anything else as I am here for you. Please remember to RATE me as I strive to be the BEST, ***** ***** ratings help me to achieve this. 5 STAR RATING IS MY GOAL

Customer: replied 22 days ago.
What else do I need to do to get it started and running?
Customer: replied 22 days ago.
What would the procedure be to clean the carb?
Expert:  JON replied 22 days ago.

That will be it. Remove the carb and clean out the inside with carb cleaned. You can buy a gallon bucket of carb soaker to just soak it in also if you prefer, but this should do it. use air compressor to blow out all jets and ports to make sure they are free of debris. once the carb is off, remove the float, needle, and all rubber gaskets as cleaners can cause harm to the gaskets