Curtis B.
Curtis B., Technician
Experience:  have worked on and around most engine models for 35 yrs./Polaris ATV expert

I replaced a Briggs and StrattonE1 with a 44S877-0002-G1. My

Customer Question

I replaced a Briggs and Stratton(###) ###-####E1 with a 44S877-0002-G1. My 445777 has a separate throttle and choke cable. I can find where the throttle cable connects to the new engine as it is basically the same as the old but I cannot find the manual choke linkage. I was told by Briggs that this was the correct replacement and that I needed to use both of the old linkages on the new engine. The setup manual did not have a diagram for the choke and throttle connections and I have been unable to find one on the internet. I would like to know where both the choke and throttle linkages are on this mower (assuming that the throttle cable is in the right place). Thanks!
Submitted: 19 days ago.
Category: Small Engine
Customer: replied 19 days ago.
Also, I'm assuming that I need to hook the choke cable up. This could be an incorrect assumption. Also, the new engine has not be started. I still need to assemble the pulley system and get the belts in place. The Mower is a 2006 Craftsman gt5000.
Expert:  Curtis B. replied 18 days ago.

Welcome to JUST ANSWER small engines, let me try to help you !! I don't know it all, but maybe together we can get you a satisfactory answer!

Customer: replied 18 days ago.
Thanks Curtis, haven't been able to work on the mower the past couple of afternoons because of bad weather.
Expert:  Curtis B. replied 18 days ago.

Look at the throttle linkage on the new engine and where the cable attaches for the throttle. Move the plastic clip the cable goes into , to it's maximum travel. The linkage should roll up and catch the end of the choke link, and push the spring loaded choke plate closed for start. Let me attach picture. Rarely you would have a separate choke cable on the newer engine.

Expert:  Curtis B. replied 18 days ago.

See picture.

Expert:  Curtis B. replied 18 days ago.

! Wrong picture, showing the two cables!

Customer: replied 18 days ago.
Ha, looks like my old engine!
Expert:  Curtis B. replied 18 days ago.

Now I can't find the one wire system!

Customer: replied 18 days ago.
it sounds like I don't need the manual choke anymore?
Customer: replied 18 days ago.
When I called the briggs distributor to match the new engine, they alluded to the new engine needing both the throttle and choke cable, but I never got a straight answer from them.
Customer: replied 18 days ago.
Here's a photo of the front of the engine with the throttle link on the bottom and no choke.
Expert:  Curtis B. replied 18 days ago.

If you move the linkage, does it flip up and catch a link going to the choke flap? Very common on the single cylinder Briggs, and Briggs uses a similar setup on the twins!

Customer: replied 18 days ago.
I'll have to check tonight. It has the "choke-a-matic" system, which I assume would mean that it does not need the manual choke.
I just wanted to make sure that I could get rid of the manual choke cable. Hopefully there will be a break in the weather (I'm in Florida) and I'll get it started tonight.
Expert:  Curtis B. replied 18 days ago.

!! Yes , you do have some Weather coming in! Take your time, I'm retired and just had a knee replacement, so I am close!

Expert:  Curtis B. replied 14 days ago.

I see weather has calmed, did you get the engine running?