Briggs-Fan
Briggs-Fan, Small Engine Technician
Experience:  over 15 years experience in small engine repair, multiple certifications
75998144

Son was given on older toro super recycle 6.0 horsepower

Customer Question

Son was given on older toro super recycle 6.0 horsepower with the longer lever when the bag attaches inboard on the top of the deck. It mows well but the drive system makes a remote control car sound when engaged and it seems to slip sometimes. Wondered if it could be the belt? Also burns a little oil wondered about a rebuild kit this winter or would a predator engine be too hard to adapt? Thought rebuilding would be a good project but the kit seems as high as a whole predator engine with coupon about $100.
Submitted: 1 month ago.
Category: Small Engine
Expert:  Briggs-Fan replied 1 month ago.
Hi my name is ***** ***** welcome to Just Answer. The noise could be the teeth on the inside of the wheels slipping , have you removed them and looked at them ?
Customer: replied 1 month ago.
No, sure haven't. I greased the rear mechanisms and they looked pretty dry, there are grease fittings but I saw no evidence anyone ever used them.
Customer: replied 1 month ago.
You think it's the end of the axles slipping on the gears in the wheels?
It could be the transmission itself too , but I'd check the gears on the wheels first
Customer: replied 1 month ago.
OK, it has some oil coming through the valve seals when it sets a couple days and it smokes a little when running it must be rings. Anyone make a valve seal/ring kit?
Customer: replied 1 month ago.
Wheels just unbolt for that at the wheel itself?
Customer: replied 1 month ago.
I bet they let it go dry and the gears got chewed up.
the wheels should just unbolt but the transmission unit should be sealed so it wouldn't need grease

Here is a diagram of the wheels and self propel

http://www.ereplacementparts.com/toro-20043-990000199999991999-lawn-mower-parts-c-121776_127291_127710.html?page=9

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
Thanks, ***** ***** gears are expensive! I'm hoping it's just one gear. The gears have a grease fitting and it didn't have any grease on it or around it and my guess is no one ever greased the gears. Thanks again! You know anywhere that might have a basic kit for the engine?
I'd check the wheels themselves
Customer: replied 1 month ago.
You know anyone that makes a set of rings and valve stem seals, hate to have to switch to a predator engine, lots of adapting there probably. It just smokes you out a little when using the mower. Interesting, I have a mid 2000s version and this one mulches better than mine does.
Let me look into it