Curtis B.
Curtis B., Technician
Experience:  have worked on and around most engine models for 35 yrs./Polaris ATV expert

I have a Toro 416 8 speed with an Onan twin engine P2166.

Customer Question

I have a Toro 416 8 speed with an Onan twin engine P2166. The engine is using oil very badly and needs either overhauling or replaced. What are my options?
JA: Can you guesstimate how old the engine is? And has it done anything like this in the past?
Customer: I believe it is a 1995 or 1996 Toro tractor and it started using oil about six months ago.
JA: Do you plan on doing the work yourself?
Customer: No unless a replacement engine is optional then I might try it.
JA: Anything else we should know to help you best?
Customer: I have another Toro with a Kohler engine, same running works. Am wondering if a one cylinder Kohler could be fitted in. Obviously the wiring would need changing....and I've been pricing replacements and I can't find anything comparable in GT models. They are either too light in weight or can't handle 3-4 acres of mowing....
Submitted: 20 days ago.
Category: Small Engine
Expert:  Bill McCusker replied 20 days ago.

Hello my name is***** to Just Answers. I do have a few additional questions

what is the complete model number of the engine. I might be able to get you piston and rods etc. However a complete engine replacement will be no longer. Also a kohler engine swap wont work the engine mount bolts are different then a onan so the idea of swaping engines is out of the question.

Do you know if its the cylinder or the rings causing the oil to burn?