Curtis B.
Curtis B., Technician
Experience:  have worked on and around most engine models for 35 yrs./Polaris ATV expert

My EZGO golf cart is not running. My kids accidentally ran

Customer Question

Hi, my EZGO golf cart is not running. My kids accidentally ran into a tree. There is no physical damage to the golf cart, but it stops running. Right after the crash, golf cart was running slow, then eventually stalled. The batteries were shifted out-of positions, and key turn popped out of place. Visually everything looks fine with all wires are still connected. The key lock seems to turn at more positions than just on and off. Reverse doesn't beep like it used to. Head lights turn on and the battery charger indicator shows 75% charge. How should i look to see why it's not running. Thank you
Submitted: 22 days ago.
Category: Small Engine
Expert:  Curtis B. replied 22 days ago.

Welcome to JUST ANSWER small engines, let me try to help you !! I don't know it all, but maybe together we can get you a satisfactory answer!

Expert:  Curtis B. replied 22 days ago.

If you plug in the charger does it show to charge? This is test for the primary battery circuit.

Customer: replied 22 days ago.
I think it does. I plugged it in and the little green light next to the plug in is blinking, an usual indication I take as it's charging. However, my charge indicator on the golf cart is also blinking. I don't remember it has done that before. I still can't get it to run after 3 hours of charging.
Expert:  Curtis B. replied 22 days ago.

Do you have a voltmeter? To check the battery pack voltage? I'm thinking you have broken a cable in the primary circuit, the wires from the charger port , to the battery pack, through the battery pack, back to the charger port. Do you hear the solenoid click when you press on the pedal? Check each cable by pulling on it and see if it may not be making a solid connection at batteries and solenoid.

Expert:  Curtis B. replied 22 days ago.

You mention key switch, I wonder if wires may have been broken at the keyswich?

Customer: replied 22 days ago.
The wires seem fine at the switch. I wonder if the switch is broken. Can i take the back wires and contact them together to by pass the switch? That won't cause a problem, will it?
Expert:  Curtis B. replied 22 days ago.

Yes, that would bypass switch for test.

Expert:  Curtis B. replied 22 days ago.

See the link below, the keyswitch gets power from the charger port. If the reed switch does not close when charger s unplugged, no voltage gets to the key, so no voltage goes to the solenoid to close it.

Customer: replied 22 days ago.
Will that also cause batteries not charging? Because my battery charge level indicator blinks when I plugged in the charger. Thanks
Expert:  Curtis B. replied 19 days ago.

No, the keyswitch only affects the running of the cart. If the charger is faulting, then you have problem with the primary cable circuit. The wires from charger plug, to the battery pack, each battery and cable , back to the charger wires.