Briggs-Fan
Briggs-Fan, Small Engine Technician
Experience:  over 15 years experience in small engine repair, multiple certifications
75998144

Generac mdel number 01646 starts on carb cleaner but dies

Customer Question

Generac mdel number 01646 starts on carb cleaner but dies instantly. Hope you can help.. Thanks Matt
Category: Small Engine
Expert:  Briggs-Fan replied 2 months ago.
Hi Matt my name is ***** ***** welcome to Just Answer. Has the generator sat with gas in it for a while prior to tying to start it today ?
Customer: replied 2 months ago.
Fresh gas.. Cleaned fuel lines to carb. Low compressed air to clean fuel thru carb. Tried starting it again. No luck. Carb cleaner again. Fired for 2 seconds and died instantly again

You used a carburetor cleaner like gumout?

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
B12
Customer: replied 2 months ago.

Ok the carburetor may have a blockage internally. You can try removing the carburetor and removing the float , pin and needle and boiling the carburetor in a pan of water for 5 minutes , then spray it out again with carb cleaner .

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
I'm trying to fix my brothers generac. So it's not on hand. I can go thru and clean the carb. All good there. But just to rule some things out.... It's not the oil sensor.. It's not a dead battery.. It's not a coil issue..
I'm going back to it tomorrow afternoon to tackle this little problem.

Do you know how long he had fuel it or how long it sat

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
He said it ran fine till he loaned it to his neighbor. A contractor who needed power to finish a job. He's thinking the neighbor did something wrong. I think it is older and something just went
If it started briefly it has to have spark . Was it low on oil etc
Customer: replied 2 months ago.
Oil is fine. Thought it might be a bad low oil sensor. Can't bypass oil sensor like other generac's. But it should run 10 to 15 seconds and then shut down when low oil.
Being it ran good prior to lending it out I'm wondering if it could be a compression issue or valve issue but it seems like after spraying the carb out once it statted and stoped right ?
Customer: replied 2 months ago.
Starts and shuts back down. Normally i would say clogged carb. But i pushed low compressed air through it. I saw somewhere that coil or what ever sends the spark to plug can get into a single fire sequence
Have you tried removing the ground wire from the coil ?
Customer: replied 2 months ago.
Not yet.

Ok , removing the ground wire will over ride any sensor issue killing spark