Curtis B.
Curtis B., Technician
Experience:  have worked on and around most engine models for 35 yrs./Polaris ATV expert

I have a 2000-vintage Generac 1006-1 Megaforce 6500

Customer Question

I have a 2000-vintage Generac 1006-1 Megaforce 6500 generator with the B&S 360cc v-twin OHV engine. While running it sounds like the ignition cuts off for about half a second every 10 or so seconds. All equipment in the house seems to run OK while it's doing this, except my UPS battery backup. The UPS beeps whenever AC power to it is cut off; it beeps when running on generator; timing about the same as the engine hiccups. Ignition module going bad? Governor going crazy? Thanks for any advice you can offer.
Submitted: 26 days ago.
Category: Small Engine
Customer: replied 26 days ago.
It also has low oil shutoff. Could something be happening with that system?
Expert:  Curtis B. replied 25 days ago.

Welcome to JUST ANSWER small engines, let me try to help you !! I don't know it all, but maybe together we can get you a satisfactory answer!

Expert:  Curtis B. replied 25 days ago.

Go to the local auto supply and get a spark teste, and check the spark on each cylinder when it is acting up. With Briggs twin, I suspect it has a bad coil. If both coils act up, I would suspect the oil switch .