JON, Small Engine Technician
Experience:  Husqvarna Service Tech

I have a Generac GP6500, have had it for few years, has less

Customer Question

I have a Generac GP6500, have had it for few years, has less then 120 hours on it. Came out to make sure working correctly (because we are supposed to have some pretty bad storms moving in, and I have young children. Gas level is at approx 1" . Checked oil, level was fine, little dark. Turned it on, set choke and pulled 3 times and it started. But was surging pretty bad, ran for approx 15 to 20 seconds then died, and have not been able to get to start since. Really need to get operational just in case. Is the gas level possibly to low? Took off air filter cover and it probably needs cleaned, going to do that ASAP, upon looking into carb butterfly valve there is small amount of the varnish looking build up around the bottom and trailing into carp, so it could probably use fuel drain, and good flush of the carb and bowl, decided to check spark plug, upon inspection the plug wire boot has mostly dry rotted and approx 1/8" of the end portion has apparently broke off, seemed kind of weird, so pulled plug, it was pretty grimy, cleaned as best as could with gas and wire brush, and reattached plug wire and held agains motor, upon pulling it is getting just a small inconsistent spark, very hard to actually notice that it even is. Should I try to rush order a plug wire and plug and pray it gets here in time, and while waiting, use carb cleaner on butterfly and bowl, and just for good measure drain and change oil? Or could it possibly be that gas was just bad and level to low? I know the other issues need taken care of but I'm really crunched on time I'm afraid. My 3 year old has to do breathing treatments, and bout a million other things I will HAVE to have power for. Any and all help or suggestions greatly appreciated, I'm in a bind and honestly worried, because we live way out in the country, and no neighbors or help really for over 60 miles. Signed Desperate. ....
Submitted: 26 days ago.
Category: Small Engine
Expert:  JON replied 26 days ago.

Hi, my name is ***** ***** me review the issue, and I will be more than happy to help resolve it as quickly as possible.

Expert:  JON replied 26 days ago.

Try spraying carb cleaner or starting fluid in carb and see if it will start again briefly. It sounds like the carb is clogged in a jet as once it ran out the fuel that was in the jet, it died as it cannot pull its own fuel through the jets. You are on the right track with cleaning the carb. You may need to remove it though as this is the best way to clean the carb jets and get it back in operation.

Let me know if you need anything else as I am here for you. Please remember to RATE me as I strive to be the BEST, ***** ***** ratings help me to achieve this. 5 STAR RATING IS MY GOAL