JON, Small Engine Technician
Experience:  Husqvarna Service Tech

I have a generac 3542 generator - having issue with power

Customer Question

I have a generac 3542 generator - having issue with power fluctuating between 118 and 120 v - Voltage Regulator and Controller boards are new just installed by local service tech -
Submitted: 27 days ago.
Category: Small Engine
Customer: replied 27 days ago.
The Voltage regulator and controller board were changed - but the power fluctuation continues
Expert:  JON replied 27 days ago.

Hi, my name is ***** ***** me review the issue, and I will be more than happy to help resolve it as quickly as possible.

Expert:  JON replied 27 days ago.

I am not a GEN SET expert, but I know engines and charging systems. being as though you just paid someone to repair the issue and apparently it is not repaired since it is doing the same thing as before, I would contact the company that repaired it and have them return. I know here at my shop I offer a 10 warranty on all my repairs as most shops do for the same issue at hand.

Since he came to repair, was it running correctly at any point? It sounds like the voltage regulator needs replaced, but since you just had it done, maybe he made a mistake and needs to come back and repair properly.

Let me know if you need anything else as I am here for you. Please remember to RATE me as I strive to be the BEST, ***** ***** ratings help me to achieve this. 5 STAR RATING IS MY GOAL

Customer: replied 27 days ago.
My repair person is not certified on this larger Generac class of generator (only smaller ones) - I was looking for a possible cause of problem - I am not at all satisfied with your answer to go back to my repair person.
Without load - no flicker voltage is stable
Under load the voltage is fluctuation between 118v and 120v
My repair guy wants to come back and play with the potentiometer - but that adjusts up and down regulated voltage setting and should not be messed with from factory (that is what I understood from some readings) - does the potentiometer fix fluctuating voltage if the regulated voltage is only fluctuating under load
Expert:  JON replied 27 days ago.

I understand as I didn't give you an answer and I will OPT OUT and see if a GEN EXPERT will help you soon, as you may have to wait until one comes online, I just wanted to give you a little advise on what I would do since you just had it repaired.

PLEASE DO NOT RESPOND as it will lock me back to the question and another expert will not be able to help you then. Good Luck and I hope you get the issue resolved ASAP