Curtis B.
Curtis B., Technician
Experience:  have worked on and around most engine models for 35 yrs./Polaris ATV expert
30244710

I have a Kubota F2560 front deck mower with a 3 cyl. diesel

Customer Question

I have a Kubota F2560 front deck mower with a 3 cyl. diesel engine that turns over but wont start. Lots of black smoke when trying. Its like its not turning over fast enough. when it would start, it wouldn't like to restart once it got hot. Now it wont start at all.
JA: Do you have fuel in the tank? If so, is the shut-off valve open and the fuel clean?
Customer: The gauge shows a half a tank, I don't close a shut off valve and as far as clean fuel being clean???
JA: Do you plan on doing the work yourself?
Customer: Yes
JA: Got it. Anything else you want the Small Engine Technician to know before I set up your one-on-one?
Customer: I ran into this problem a year or so ago, and the mechanic I took it to said it needed an engine over haul. I got it back and in no time it was acting up again so I took it to our Kubota dealer and they said that it probably didn't need an overhaul but that there was stuff growing in the tank and that it messed up the injector pump and needed new injectors. That was only about 20-30 hours ago. Now I'm back to the same problem.
Category: Small Engine
Expert:  Curtis B. replied 2 months ago.

Welcome to JUST ANSWER small engines, let me try to help you !! I don't know it all, but maybe together we can get you a satisfactory answer!

Are the glow plugs heating up? Has the compression been checked? Did you have it overhauled? And you replaced injectors? Has the injection pump been repaired? Have the valves ever been adjusted?

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
the glow plugs have been tested and all glow red. we have not checked compression do to not having the correct adapter.
It was overhauled about 95-100 hrs ago. Still had problems so that is when we took it to a Kubota dealer and they replaced the injectors and rebuilt the pump at about 90 hrs ago. No the valves have not been adjusted that I know of unless the rebuilder of the engine did it.
Customer: replied 1 month ago.
Still have not been able to check compression, we ordered a tester but when it arrived it did not have the right adapter. So have tried to order another adapter to arrive Tuesday. Also engine turns over faster when intake is covered with hand?
Expert:  Curtis B. replied 1 month ago.

Engine has an electric fuel shutoff solenoid, to the left end of the injection pump. If you remove this solenoid and slip it back , does the engine start?

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
No we pulled that off and made sure the plunger was not sticking. Tried to start with it off still nothing. Checked the timing per the manual and the fuel pump seems to be in proximity of where it is supposed to be.
Expert:  Curtis B. replied 1 month ago.

With the fuel solenoid out, if you reach in and move the linkage, does it spring back? It should be spring loaded, and has to move with the governor and fuel shutoff. If linkage is stuck in the off position, no fuel gets to the injectors. You mention it is not turning fast enough, could the hydraulic pump be loading the engine?

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
We worked the plunger back and forth to make sure it was not sticking. We also removed the injectors and turned engine over and checked the spray pattern and all three looked good. So fuel is getting to the injectors.
We disconnected the PTO linkage so the engine has no load on it.
Expert:  Curtis B. replied 1 month ago.

OK, so it is compression problem, or the hydraulics are loading the engine, so it is too hard to turn.??

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
we will be able to check to compression on Tuesday as far as the hydraulics, I'll have to see if it is belt driven or how that is connected to the engine. I'm not in front of it now and don't remember.
Expert:  Curtis B. replied 1 month ago.

OK> let's see what the compression shows, but at this point, I think something is loading the engine and starter is not turning engine fast enough to start.