Curtis B.
Curtis B., Technician
Experience:  have worked on and around most engine models for 35 yrs./Polaris ATV expert
30244710

I have a &S 136t02 engine on a troy bilt pressure washer. It

Customer Question

I have a B&S 136t02 engine on a troy bilt pressure washer. It is currently blowing gas out of the breather tube. Before that it was blowing oil out of it, I tore it down and put new rings in it, new head gasket and now a new carb.
Also, with the high pressure tip in the engine dies when the trigger is pulled.
The crank case smelled like gas and was watered down, it did not sit after the rebuild. Put oil in it and got it started. So somehow gas got in the oil while it was running.
Category: Small Engine
Expert:  Wayne replied 2 months ago.

Hi I'm Wayne

I will help you with this

did it get the gas in the oil after the new carb

or before

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
Before the new carb. Immediately after putting new rings in. I put fresh oil in it and ran it. While it was running it started blowing gas out the breather tube. Checked the oil and it was watered down with gas. Put a new carb on and same thing
Expert:  Wayne replied 2 months ago.

Thank you for that

so it did it before and after,correct

what did you adjust your valves to

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
Yep. Valves aren't adjustable. I checked them, I believe intake was .05 and exhaust was .09
Expert:  Wayne replied 2 months ago.

HI

Yes to adjust them remove and grind the tip

I will opt-out of this and another will pick it up

sorry I could not help

Expert:  Curtis B. replied 2 months ago.

Valves are ok, if they have .005 and .009. Only way gas gets into the oil is through the needle valve leaking in the carburetor. NO other way. unless it gets poured in through the oil add tube! And carburetor will NOT leak when engine is running. I like to have fuel shutoff valve on the tank outlet line, and use it when engine not in use.

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
Yeah, not adjustable for the common person. It won't leak and fill the crankcase with the engine off. That tells me it is not the float. If that's the only way for it to get in there, which I agree, then how do I have gas in my oil?
Keep in mind it didn't sit at all before I ran it. But it did take a ton of cranking to finally start. Also, I have not changed the oil with the new carb. Thinking maybe the oil is too thin now, but still doesnt explain the gas spraying out of the breather tube while running.

Gas out the vent can be from thinned oil, or the oil level being too high. Or both!

I see question is still open, did you replace the float and needle valve?