Donald
Donald, Small Engine Technician
Experience:  I have 25+ years of experience repairing 2 & 4 cycle engines
72377906

I have a GT50 big red mower I tried to replace the drive

Customer Question

I have a GT50 big red mower I tried to replace the drive belt but the drive pulley on the engine shaft is frozen to the shaft. I tried a puller, but it bent the the pulley.do you have a idea how to remove it?
Category: Small Engine
Expert:  Donald replied 2 months ago.

Hello. Thank you for choosing Just Answer. My name is***** will be happy to assist you.

Expert:  Donald replied 2 months ago.

If you are still in need of assistance, please let me know, I will be happy to assist you.

Expert:  Donald replied 2 months ago.

Richard, you can use a good quality penetrating oil to help free up your pulley. I have successfully used PB Blaster. WD-40 also has a good penetrating oil. Just saturate the area really good, where your crankshaft slides into your pulley. Give it plenty of time to soak and penetrate. You may have to spray the area more than one time.

Expert:  Donald replied 2 months ago.

Use two pry bars to carefully pry down on your pulley. Now that your pulley is already ruined, you can pry down, and tap your pulley with a hammer.

Expert:  Donald replied 2 months ago.

You and I can continue from here. Thanks again!

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
I will try what you recommend and let you know how it worked. Thank you Richard
Expert:  Donald replied 2 months ago.

Richard, you are very welcome! I look forward to knowing your results.

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
I tried what you recommended and it did not work. My son tried several ways to remove it and none of them worked.The problem is the work area on the mower is limited, so he has taken it to his shop to remove the engine.There is know other way to get to the pulley.Richard