Curtis B.
Curtis B., Technician
Experience:  have worked on and around most engine models for 35 yrs./Polaris ATV expert
30244710

I have a toro lx426 that jerked suddenly while mowing, I

Customer Question

I have a toro lx426 that jerked suddenly while mowing, I heard a loud clunk and then the mower would only go very very slow in forward and reverse. After Looking at it, the upper belt that is right under the seat had broken. I am not sure if the belt broke on its own or the clunk I heard caused something to lockup which broke the belt. Either way I put a new belt on. In forward and reverse now, there is a little jerk when first pressing on the gas peddle and seems like it is going to take off quick but it just crawls forward or backward no matter how much I press the peddle? Any help would be appreciated.
Category: Small Engine
Expert:  Curtis B. replied 2 months ago.

Welcome to JUST ANSWER small engines, let me try to help you !! I don't know it all, but maybe together we can get you a satisfactory answer!

This is a single speed transmission and the speed comes from the two drive belts and the variable pulley between them. Are the two belts tight? Does the variable pulley mover when you moves speed lever or press on the pedal? Is the variable pulley spinning freely , not a bad bearing in the assembly?

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
Upper belt which I replaced is tight. All pulleys are turning freely.
Customer: replied 2 months ago.
I think the lower belt increases tension with the pedal and is hard to gauge if the mower is not running and moving
Customer: replied 2 months ago.
I replaced belt #47 in the diagram.
Customer: replied 2 months ago.
Which pulley is the variable pulley on the parts diagram?

# 2 is the variable pulley.

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
I will have to put it on jack stands to see that. Won't be tonight.

OK>

I see question is still open, did you find problem?

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
No, I have been traveling for work and have not been able to get back to it. Hopefully this week.