Curtis B.
Curtis B., Technician
Experience:  have worked on and around most engine models for 35 yrs./Polaris ATV expert
30244710

I replaced the fwd bkw switch and then found the solenoid

Customer Question

I replaced the fwd bkw switch and then found the solenoid bad. The cart moved fwd bkw don't go now. Don't know what to check next.
JA: I'll do all I can to help. How long have you been dealing with this?
Customer: over a week
JA: Do you plan on doing the work yourself?
Customer: yes , if I can get to the parts
JA: Anything else we should know to help you best?
Customer: When I put the rev fwd on the handle is on the F straight up I don't know if this has anything to do with it, the reverse handle goes by the R
Category: Small Engine
Customer: replied 2 months ago.
I have pictures of my before and after repair if you think that would help.
Expert:  Curtis B. replied 2 months ago.

Welcome to JUST ANSWER small engines, let me try to help you !! I don't know it all, but maybe together we can get you a satisfactory answer!

Make and model of the cart? Ezgo or Club Car? If you attach the charger does it come on and charge? Are we sure the solenoid is wired same as before? Send pictures if you can. The F/R control should be in neutral when straight up. I assume this is electric cart and not gas?

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
Sorry, it is a Yamaha 1999 36v G16E. My handle is straight up but on F. So I need take off R/F and position handle again. I don't know how to position the handle . Installed R/F switch top up and tried to position handle before I tightened screws but I went to far or not far enough with the handle.
Customer: replied 2 months ago.
I am 66 year old with limited hand strength

OK, try re-positioning the handle.

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
Is there a way change the handle without like in the forward reverse switch off ? See pic attached

Is there not a screw holding the lever to the switch shaft?

Does the solenoid click when you press on the pedal to go? Maybe the f/r switch is not the problem.

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
the solenoid clicks when you press the pedal.

Does the F/R switch move to its positions and lock in the detent? No direction forward or reverse? Here is the schematic.

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
Is there a way I can call you or you call me? My number is(###) ###-#### The cart moved forward then backward until solenoid switch was tightened down and wire connectors were burnt due to two cables connected to the battery side of solenoid , now only battery cable is on the battery side of solenoid switch and the other two remaining cables are on the other port of solenoid. The black and red wire on solenoid were cut at connectors and reclampted with new ends and attached on the screws red wire is on the battery side screw and black wire on the screw next to the f/r switch. on the solenoid.

Positive battery cable from the battery pack goes to one main terminal of the solenoid, the other side of solenoid goes to the controller and the drive motor S1 terminal. What other cables go to the main terminals on yours? Phone call is extra and I had rather continue here as I don't know what good a call would do. You did see the link to the wiring diagram?