Curtis B.
Curtis B., Technician
Experience:  have worked on and around most engine models for 35 yrs./Polaris ATV expert
30244710

Onan generator is clicking when trying to start. I plugged

Customer Question

onan generator is clicking when trying to start. I plugged the rv into the house power and still happens. Does the gen start off battery only?
JA: Do you have fuel in the tank? If so, is the shut-off valve open and the fuel clean?
Customer: Yes there is fuel
JA: Do you plan on doing the work yourself?
Customer: yes
JA: Anything else we should know to help you best?
Customer: no
Category: Small Engine
Expert:  Curtis B. replied 2 months ago.

Welcome to JUST ANSWER small engines, let me try to help you !! I don't know it all, but maybe together we can get you a satisfactory answer!

Generator starts with battery only. What is the battery voltage when you try to start? Does it drop below 8 volts? If it does, battery or cables are fault.

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
rv generator wouldnt start, but I just now pulled the truck up and put jumper cables on the rv batteries. Generator started right up so at least the problem is identified as weak battery. However I went through this last year. Replaced the batteries. There is solar recharging on the batteries which seems to go up to about 12volts but it appears it takes about 14v to start the generator. What can I do to permanently solve this.

Get a better charger that will keep battery voltage above 13 volts. 12 volts is just a surface charge and is not charging a 12 volt battery, input from charger has to be well above 12 volts to actually charge battery.