Curtis B.
Curtis B., Technician
Experience:  have worked on and around most engine models for 35 yrs./Polaris ATV expert

I have a Briggs & Stratton 752B0915F8 250cc engine on a

Customer Question

I have a Briggs & Stratton 752B0915F8 250cc engine on a Troybilt shreader. It is not wanting to even try to start when I pull it. Looking at the throttle control it does not seem to be changing anything going from slow to fast. there is also an electical wire with a connector that is dangling on the side. What does it do and what shold it be connected to?
JA: Do you have fuel in the tank? If so, is the shut-off valve open and the fuel clean?
Customer: yes and there is no shutoff valve, it goes directly from the tank to the carburetor.
JA: Do you plan on doing the work yourself?
Customer: yes
JA: Anything else we should know to help you best?
Customer: not that I know of, i took the fuel tank off to check the throttle control and don't see it doing much of anything. I did replace the spark plug.
Submitted: 30 days ago.
Category: Small Engine
Expert:  Briggs-Fan replied 30 days ago.

Hi my name is ***** ***** welcome to Just Answer. Is the wire black ?

Customer: replied 30 days ago.

If the wire runs up under the engine cover it could be the kill wire

Customer: replied 30 days ago.
there is no kill switch on this shredder, you just move the throttle to slow and it dies

Where does the black wire run to

Customer: replied 30 days ago.
not sure, it runs underneath the bracket that holds the throttle and gas tank and disappears. it runs next to a small cable that is attached to the bracket but I cant see anything that cable is doing either.

Can you test for spark at the plug

Customer: replied 30 days ago.
i did earlier before replacing the plug and there was no spark. Referring back to the second small cable i just mentioned, i took another look at it and it is actually a wire and when the throttle is pushed all the way to slow, the last little bit of movement does make a slight movement. I suspect that may be the kill switch.
Customer: replied 30 days ago.
I just checked that wire with a multimeter and got around 50 ohms to ground until the throttle is pushed all the way off and then it goes to 0 ohms. Still don't know what that other wire is for that is dangling, There is nothing in reach of it to connect to.
Customer: replied 30 days ago.
50 ohms is what I would expect for a multilmeter measuring through a coil.
Customer: replied 30 days ago.
still there?
Customer: replied 30 days ago.

If your not getting spark at the plug it may be a safety switch wore , what is the model number of the shredder