Donald
Donald, Small Engine Technician
Experience:  I have 25+ years of experience repairing 2 & 4 cycle engines
72377906

Not sure it's possible,but we can give it a shot. It's a

Customer Question

Not sure it's possible,but we can give it a shot.
JA: I'll do all I can to help. How long have you been dealing with this?
Customer: It's a friends 4 stroke Ryobi trimmer power head- ran for a year and now it won't start, and doesn't even seem to be trying. (No rumble)
JA: Do you have fuel in the tank? If so, is the shut-off valve open and the fuel clean?
Customer: Yes and yes. He took it back to Home Depot and they couldn't figure it out either.
JA: Do you plan on doing the work yourself?
Customer: If it's feasible.
JA: Anything else we should know to help you best?
Customer: If the parts cost more than a new head, then we won't bother. :-)
Category: Small Engine
Expert:  Donald replied 9 months ago.

Hello. Thank you for choosing Just Answer. My name is***** will be happy to assist you.

Expert:  Donald replied 9 months ago.

You and I need to determine if our problem is fuel related, or if it is ignition related. If you have some carburetor cleaner in a can, or starting fluid, spray a small burst directly into your carburetor, to see if your engine will start right back up and run briefly.

Customer: replied 9 months ago.
No effect at all. doesn't even try to catch; it's like there is no spark whatsoever. Brand new plug too.
Customer: replied 9 months ago.
Hello?
Customer: replied 9 months ago.
once you get my $$$ you quit answering? What kind of business model is that?
Expert:  Donald replied 9 months ago.

I am back with you . I do apologize for the delay. You have not been billed.

Expert:  Donald replied 9 months ago.

Thank you for checking. If your engine will not attempt to start, if you use starting fluid, then it is likely that you are not getting a spark to your spark plug.

Expert:  Donald replied 9 months ago.

Are you familiar with check for spark?

Customer: replied 9 months ago.
According to my account page I have, and I already figure it wasn't getting spark to the plug. Checked it already.
Expert:  Donald replied 9 months ago.

You are only billed after you are satisfied with your answer. I will work with you until we figure out what is causing our problem.

Expert:  Donald replied 9 months ago.

It is possible that either your kill switch is bad, or your ignition coil is at fault.

Customer: replied 9 months ago.
No way to determine which?
Expert:  Donald replied 9 months ago.

You can disconnect the kill switch wire from your ignition coil, then check for spark again. If you get a spark, then your kill switch is likely the cause of our problem. If you do not get a spark, then your ignition coil is likely at fault.

Customer: replied 9 months ago.
Excellent, I'll give that a shot. Thanks.
Expert:  Donald replied 9 months ago.

You are very welcome! Keep in mind that we can continue, if you need additional assistance. There is not a time limit on follow up questions.

Expert:  Donald replied 9 months ago.

I will get an alert, if you respond with a follow up question relating to this issue.