Curtis B.
Curtis B., Technician
Experience:  have worked on and around most engine models for 35 yrs./Polaris ATV expert
30244710

My cub cadet lgt 1054 will not turn over I have new battery

Customer Question

My cub cadet lgt 1054 will not turn over I have new battery and solenoid?
Category: Small Engine
Expert:  JON replied 9 months ago.

Hi, my name is ***** ***** me review the issue, and I will be more than happy to help resolve it as quickly as possible.

Expert:  JON replied 9 months ago.

ignition switch could be bad. turn key on and lock the brake. Jump solenoid to start. see if key turns machine off

Customer: replied 9 months ago.
I've already tried that I'm not able to jump the solenoid. I feel as though I may have a bad connection or ground
Expert:  JON replied 9 months ago.

yes, if you cannot jump the solenoid, then there is a bad ground wire.

Customer: replied 9 months ago.
How would I check for this
Expert:  JON replied 9 months ago.

​will need to check the neg terminal from battery to ground. make sure cables on battery are tight also. make sure solenoid it tight and the frame is not painted underneath fully

Customer: replied 9 months ago.
Yea I just tried all that and still just clicking from the solenoid and still unable to jumper it
Expert:  JON replied 9 months ago.

If you are getting a clicking at solenoid, check that the starter is not jammed against the flywheel. Could have a starter issue if it is clicking but not turning over

Customer: replied 9 months ago.
Took the starter off and back on its not jammed ip
Expert:  JON replied 9 months ago.

do you have a volt meter to test at the starter and see how many volts you are getting to the starter? the power is getting to the solenoid since you hear clicking, but not to the starter

Customer: replied 9 months ago.
I'm only getting 4.8 volts to the starter
Customer: replied 9 months ago.
I'm getting 12 v to my solenoid but when I turn the key it drops to 4.8 on the other side of solenoid to my starter
Expert:  JON replied 9 months ago.

is your solenoid a single or dbl pole solenoid? that is a sign of bad solenoid ground or bad solenoid

Customer: replied 9 months ago.
Double pole solenoid
Customer: replied 9 months ago.
Does the solenoid just ground to the frame?
Expert:  JON replied 9 months ago.

yes. you also have 2 smaller wires one of those should be a ground also

Expert:  JON replied 9 months ago.

one small wire goes to ignition switch, another is grounded.

Customer: replied 9 months ago.
My battery negative is mounted to the frame with a bolt that runs through supporting the solenoid
Expert:  JON replied 9 months ago.

so you should be good there. if the voltage is dropping that low when key is turned, the n the starter isn't getting proper voltage. main question is now, why the Voltage drop...... Could be a faulty wire, safety switch is faulty ( unknown which one as they work together - would need to OHM test them) or bad solenoid