Curtis B.
Curtis B., Technician
Experience:  have worked on and around most engine models for 35 yrs./Polaris ATV expert
30244710

I can't get my tecumseh hh100 to start i have fire and

Customer Question

I can't get my tecumseh hh100 to start i have fire and compression new rings and made sure the timing is rite
Category: Small Engine
Expert:  Curtis B. replied 3 months ago.

Welcome to JUST ANSWER small engines, let me try to help you !! I don't know it all, but maybe together we can get you a satisfactory answer!

What was original problem? What is the compression? What is the valve clearance? You say timing is right? The inner camshaft and crankshaft timing, and the timing key in flywheel??

Will it fire on ether?

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
Won't fire on ether compression and valve clearance was my problem and no I haven't done the flywheel could you tell me more

The outer timing is set by the keyway between the flywheel and the crankshaft. If the key has any damage at all, it throws off the timing and you get a no start. Flywheel needs to be removed , with a small puller, then you can see the keyway. See Flywheel link below.

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
I just had the flywheel off I did not see anything wrong with the key but I will check again to make sure what about if the ignition is wired up wrong even though I still have fired the pug

If it has spark, compression above 70 psi and is in time, it should start!

Flywheel key can have no damage, it needs to be perfect and the flywheel needs to be torqued down when reassembling.

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
The fire seems a little weak what could I try to do about that

The only thing that makes the spark is the coil and the magnet in the flywheel. Try removing the kill wire from the coil and see if spark improves. Kill wire may be grounding spark.

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
I have 30 psi after 1 crank and if I don't reset the gage and try again it goes to 90 the key looked fine all but one little bur and I filed it off

90 psi is good. So is the spark strong? If you put a teaspoon of fuel direct into the spark plug hole, re-install spark plug, will it fire for a few seconds? If not, seems to be that the crankshaft and camshaft timing may be off!

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
The timing is where it is supposed to be unless where I put a different cam in effects that I also broke the ear off of the Governor rod will that affect starting

Governor ear will not affect starting. If the camshaft is not for same series of engine, it will not work

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
Oh okay I bet that is where my problem lies

OK>

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
How would I know if the cam I got is the right one or wrong one

You would have to compare it to the old one.

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
What causes my compression to be so low it has new ring and I grounded the valves last night I only have 30 or 35 PSI right now

It will not run with that low compression. Compression can only leak at head gasket, valves or the piston rings!