Curtis B.
Curtis B., Technician
Experience:  have worked on and around most engine models for 35 yrs./Polaris ATV expert

I have a 18hp Briggs and Stratton opposed cylinder engine

Customer Question

I have a 18hp Briggs and Stratton opposed cylinder engine model#422707-1214-01. I can only start the engine by jumping from the spark plug wire with a screwdriver to the side of the intake manifold. If I jump the screwdriver to tin motor shield,the motor will back fire and quite. The coil is new and the gap from the flywheel is .010.
Submitted: 27 days ago.
Category: Small Engine
Expert:  Curtis B. replied 27 days ago.

Welcome to JUST ANSWER small engines, let me try to help you !! I don't know it all, but maybe together we can get you a satisfactory answer!

Expert:  Curtis B. replied 27 days ago.

?? The old opposed twin engine. You say start engine? Engine will not start with key? You have to ground coil to start? What happens if you remove the kill wire off the coil?