Curtis B.
Curtis B., Technician
Experience:  have worked on and around most engine models for 35 yrs./Polaris ATV expert
30244710

JR. i have an LT 1050 and it seems like i have a open

Customer Question

Hi JR. i have an LT 1050 and it seems like i have a open problem in the safety circuit. I don't have power to the PTO but if I take the negative end of my voltmeter to the negative on the battery, i have power. i'm looking for a good troubleshooting guide.
Category: Small Engine
Expert:  Curtis B. replied 7 months ago.

Welcome to JUST ANSWER small engines, let me try to help you !! I don't know it all, but maybe together we can get you a satisfactory answer!

What is the battery voltage measured with the voltmeter? has to be above 12.5 volts. Will battery start tractor without a jump or battery charger? The pto has to have 12 volts to engage the magnet.

Customer: replied 7 months ago.
Battery is 1 month old. it starts the tractor easily. with the motor running it's 13.2 at the battery.
if i put the positive end and negative end of the voltmeter into the upstream side of the connector ( pto disconnected) i get nothing. if i take the negative end and ground it to the battery, i get 13.2 volts.
Customer: replied 7 months ago.
as i said in my original post, I've been having trouble with the safety switch too. the light metal tab kept moving behind the contact that's attached to the seat (with the big spring). I loosened the spring so that it's in contact all the time but that doesn't seem to do anything (was there a ground wire on that metal piece attached to the seat?
Cub Cadet(###) ###-####/strong>P.T.O. Relay

Parts list shows a pto relay, a square relay about an inch in size. Locate it and see if it is the source of the varying voltage.

Customer: replied 7 months ago.
i'm game. any clue where it might be? i looked at a wiring schematic i found online and it makes sense to me except i have no idea where some of the stuff is located. (like the PTO relay!)

Usually under dash , close to the pto switch wiring. It will be the only relay in the tractor.

Customer: replied 7 months ago.
i like safety switches and would NEVER leave it that way but how difficult is it to bypass the seat safety switch so that I can focus on whether the PTO is working OK and it's not just the safety switch that is causing it to disengage?

Two wire switch will be either open or closed. Typically the seat switch only affects the start circuit, not the pto engage circuit. I doubt the seat switch is causing pto not to get voltage.

Customer: replied 7 months ago.
nope. on my tractor when you stand up, the PTO disengages. has always been that way. the other green wire is dangling under the seat and if i connect it to either prong on the seat safety, the engine cuts off. BTW, it doesn't disengage PTO when i go in reverse.

OK> Did you find the relay?

Customer: replied 7 months ago.
no. only things under dash are the pto switch, the ignition switch and the engine hours display.
taped to the system circuit breaker with electrical tape is an HFV6.

That should be the relay, is it not plugged in?

Customer: replied 7 months ago.
it's plugged in.

Does it kill the pto?

Customer: replied 7 months ago.
hard to know. pto isn't running right now. that's why i'm typing with you.on the schematic, it shows 35 cir yel and 40 cir yel/wht going to the "operator present" seat switch. That has an H and J ground. on the other end, yellow wire is connected to Seat SW in the RMC module. is that module looking for an open or closed circuit to lock out the PTO?

here is the pto section from the service manual with the RMC module. link below

Customer: replied 7 months ago.
thanks. i'll have a look. wife's knocking at the door as we have to go out with friends.
when i come back to this tomorrow, can i ask another question if i need to?

Sure, just use link in your email to get back.