Curtis B.
Curtis B., Technician
Experience:  have worked on and around most engine models for 35 yrs./Polaris ATV expert
30244710

I have an ez go cart that clicks and won't move. solenoid

Customer Question

I have an ez go cart that clicks and won't move. solenoid transfers power across it. one output terminal of controller varies voltage with pedal pressing (-) and the other gives full voltage continually (+).
JA: I'll do all I can to help. How long have you been dealing with this?
Customer: tonight
JA: Do you plan on doing the work yourself?
Customer: yes
JA: Anything else we should know to help you best?
Customer: of the 4 wires on the motor, only 1 varies voltage with the pedal. the other 3 go full voltage with the controller output. I have another cart here and 2 wires at the motor vary voltage (2 that are side by side)
Category: Small Engine
Expert:  Curtis B. replied 4 months ago.

Welcome to JUST ANSWER small engines, let me try to help you !! I don't know it all, but maybe together we can get you a satisfactory answer!

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
Thanks

The charger comes on when connected to the cart? Year model of the cart? does it have the same controller as the other cart you are comparing it to? The Field terminals on the drive motor has to vary voltage they can be marked, S 1 and S 2 or F1 and F2, but either way , they are the field coils.

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
charger comes on. batteries are charged. not sure of year. they seem to be the same controller by appearance

Its some work to do it, but the likely problem is the controller, but swapping them would tell the tale. Has to be the foot ITS switch or the controller.

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
the tag says model e403. cannot find year anywhere on it

The 03 makes it 2003.

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
okay thanks. will try it

OK>

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
swapped controller from faulty cart to operational cart. it worked fine.
Customer: replied 4 months ago.
does that mean the windings in the motor are faulty, or is there a possibility the reverse switch is faulty?

I'm thinking the foot switch may be faulty.

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
If the voltage varies at the motor with pedal depressed (going to full voltage) would that still mean pedal faulty

You know it is not the controller, and the solenid will not do this, and the typical forward /reverse switch only affects one direction. So that leaves the ITS switch(foot switch) and the drive motor. There is Ezgo troubleshooting, which has test for both. Here is link below, you will need to scroll down the opening page past the manuals to get to the troubleshooting and the ITS test and the drive motor test.

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
Okay, thank you very much for your help. It's late here so I will check it tomorrow.

OK>