I have a 4k Watt Champion gas generator that I used to power

Customer Question

I have a 4k Watt Champion gas generator that I used to power my RV a few years ago and it worked great with the AC on. This year when I turn on the AC it sounds like it's struggling and shuts off. It's not that old and rarely gets used. I changed the oil and poured fresh gas and it does the same thing. It comes on with first pull and powers up the RV, but just turns off when AC is on.
Submitted: 1 month ago.
Category: Small Engine
Expert:  peterpete190 replied 1 month ago.

My name is ***** ***** I am a professional here at Just Answer. I noticed that your question had not received a response and thought I would see if you still need help with this.I apologize for the delay and I hope I can still assist you with this here.My info is somewhat limited on your model here but I had seen no one else has responded and would like to see if I can help here.If at any time you feel that I cannot help with this please let me know.

This may be due to the ac capacitor failing on the RV or the compressor possibly drawing to many watts causing this.If you can try it with another rv or ac unit similar and see if it acts the same.If it does not I suspect the issue may be with the ac unit on your rv.If it does act the same then this is a fault in the generator needing looked into.I know some models had an issue with clogged up air filter for the air inlet to the carb.

If more help is needed, use the reply tab to continue our conversation. If no further assistance is needed, kindly rate my service,your 5 star rating is appreciated.You can rate at any time and we can continue to work on your question as this will not close out your question.Keep in mind in some cases it can be difficult to fully diagnose or help repair your vehicle without seeing it and I work on delivering the best possible answer from what I see to work with.

Thanks Pete

Customer: replied 27 days ago.
It's not the rv bc it still works when plugged in on outlet. The generator just seems to be giving half the power for some reason. I had actually tried draining the fuel and cleaning the carb and ended up breaking the bolt and replaced it with new carb. I washed the filter. Do you really think the filter is causing it?
Expert:  peterpete190 replied 25 days ago.

This is a difficult question for me to answer myself here but others here may be able to assist further.

I will open your question up for others here to see if someone else can assist further on this as there may be others here that may have more info on what to check or do with this issue.I hope you can get this resolved with ease.No need to reply to my last post here unless it is a last resort as it will keep your question locked to me and others will not be able to view it.If you feel you want to continue to work with me on this feel free to reply at any time but keep in mind in some cases it can be difficult to fully diagnose or help repair this without seeing your vehicle.

Thanks Pete