Curtis B.
Curtis B., Technician
Experience:  have worked on and around most engine models for 35 yrs./Polaris ATV expert

My Toro Super Recycler Mower's rear wheels lock up when

Customer Question

My Toro Super Recycler Mower's rear wheels lock up when pulling the mower backwards. The wheels both lock up instantly, the moment the mower should be moving backwards.
This problem was preceded by the belt protecter guide (looks something like a horseshoe) was too, on one side, to the actual belt. I bought another guide and installed it, but I ran it around the yard, one time, ended up with the new protecter guide also being slightly bent.
With the belt protector guide off, the mower runs fine, except it will not back up at all.
Appreciate any help you have provide. Thanks
Mike McCray
Kansas City Area
Submitted: 1 month ago.
Category: Small Engine
Expert:  Curtis B. replied 1 month ago.

Welcome to JUST ANSWER small engines, let me try to help you !! I don't know it all, but maybe together we can get you a satisfactory answer!

Expert:  Curtis B. replied 1 month ago.

# 17 pinion gear is what has to slip for the mower to be pulled backwards. But see nothing that relates to the belt guard! Have you checked the pinions and cleaned the shaft and gears?

Th e pinion gear that goes into the wheel , and mounts on the drive axle shaft is what lets mower be pulled backward, the gear should slip in the reverse direction an catch in the forward direction. Gear needs to be clean and not binding up and the wheel with the matching gear has to be clean so gear is free to rotate.