Hank F.
Hank F., Technician
Experience:  Certified on Onan and Generac generators
19372534

I have a Onan 7000 gas generator that runs my service truck.

Customer Question

I have a Onan 7000 gas generator that runs my service truck. I have 4 bench grinding machines. I never run 2 machines at once(unless you consider the A/C as one. One machine in particular seems to have too much draw & the lights dim and the gen shuts off. When I plug the truck in to a power source all machines run fine. Just recently I put a new carb in. I was wondering if a wiring issue could be the cause & not the gen.
JA: What's the make and model of the generator? And can you guesstimate how old it is?
Customer: Onan 7000 gas, 7HGJAE-2132J
JA: Do you plan on doing the work yourself?
Customer: If its electrical or internal to the gen, then no
JA: Anything else we should know to help you best?
Customer: i suspect its loose or wet wiring, but my business is repairing & sharpening surgical instruments, so I'm not an expert on gen or wiring
Category: Small Engine
Expert:  Hank F. replied 2 months ago.

If only one grinder is doing this, it is most likely the grinder that is at fault. It is possible that the wiring is the issue, depending on how the wiring is connected.

The generator is much more sensitive to high loads than shore power is. If the genset would be the problem, it would be doing it will all the grinders.

You need to have an amp test done on the grinders to see exactly how much power they are pulling.

Expert:  Hank F. replied 2 months ago.

Was this what you wanted to know?