JON
JON, Small Engine Technician
Experience:  Husqvarna Service Tech
94737911

I have a 2012 Briggs and Stratton 7.5 horsepower engine on a

Customer Question

I have a 2012 Briggs and Stratton 7.5 horsepower engine on a Craftsman Lawnmower. The mower starts fine when cold, but when its hot it won't start until it cools down for 20 minutes or so. I heard that the problem might be a bad coil so I just replaced the coil and the plug trying to eliminate the easy stuff. Still have the problem. I know heat is the issue but I am not sure what?
Category: Small Engine
Expert:  JON replied 6 months ago.

Hi, my name is ***** ***** me review the issue, and I will be more than happy to help resolve it as quickly as possible.

Expert:  JON replied 6 months ago.

once machine dies, remove fuel cap and try to restart. Could be a fuel cap venting issue

Customer: replied 6 months ago.
I will need to wait to get home to do that. The machine never quits on its own. It starts the first time and will run for an hour straight. When I shut it off and let it sit for more than a minute, it won't restart until it cools for 20 minutes or so. I also noticed if I stop the engine and start it within 30 seconds or so of shutting it off it will restart although it kind of sputters it will still start.
Expert:  JON replied 6 months ago.

Sounds like t he pressure is building up and is too much for it to restart. Let me know how it does once you return home please.

Customer: replied 6 months ago.
Ok. will do
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
try starting with the fuel cap off doesn't work. Same thing when cold, starts first pull, when good and hot takes about 30 or so to cool down, then starts no problem?
Expert:  JON replied 6 months ago.

Remove carb and clean the carb. May be the fuel pressure in the carb. How did you gap the coil when new one installed ?

Customer: replied 6 months ago.
Ok will clean carb. I gapped the coil with a business card.
Expert:  JON replied 6 months ago.

That is correct then. Let me know how it is after carb cleaned and reassembled

Customer: replied 6 months ago.
cleaned carb last night. It was not very dirty. Not too many hours on this mower
Expert:  JON replied 6 months ago.

still shutting off and not restarting

Customer: replied 6 months ago.
Not restarting when hot. Also it never shuts off on its own. It will run for 3 hours straight, If I shut it down to get a drink or something in will not restart for around 30 minutes. I can start it let it run for 30 seconds and shut off. Then start it again. When its hot it won't start, when cool starts perfectly.
Expert:  JON replied 6 months ago.

and all this is after carb clean, coil replacement, and we have tried the fuel cap

Customer: replied 6 months ago.
all of those things have been done. It behaves the same exact way it did before I started.
Expert:  JON replied 6 months ago.

does this machine have auto choke feature. NO PRIMER.

Customer: replied 6 months ago.
It has no primer bulb
Expert:  JON replied 6 months ago.

Do you have someone there that can cover the carb intake and you try to start it. may have a malfunctioning auto choke.

Have the basically manually choke the carb while you or they try to pull start it

Customer: replied 6 months ago.
I will try that tonight when I get home from work.
Expert:  JON replied 6 months ago.

okay, keep me posted