JON
JON, Small Engine Technician
Experience:  Husqvarna Service Tech
94737911

Engine has good Spark and new spark plug but will not fire

Customer Question

Engine has good Spark and new spark plug but will not fire and is not getting gas thru the carburetor. Has a new gas filter and a clean air filter. The gas cap is venting. What else can cause this problem?
JA: Can you guesstimate how old the engine is? And has it done anything like this in the past?
Customer: The mower was purchased in 2007 and has never had any engine problems in the past. It has been housed in my garage and has not been left outside when not in use. It is a Husky Mower made by MTD and has been very reliable. I was mowing grass and trimming on a slite incline when it just shut off. Is there a shut off in the carb that could cause this.
JA: Do you plan on doing the work yourself?
Customer: Yes , if possible.
JA: Anything else we should know to help you best?
Customer: I thought it was the electronic module and I replaced it and put in a new spark plug. I also installed a new fuel in line filter.
Category: Small Engine
Expert:  JON replied 2 months ago.

Hi, my name is ***** ***** me review the issue, and I will be more than happy to help resolve it as quickly as possible.

Expert:  JON replied 2 months ago.

I would first remove the carb and clean it. Sounds like a jet is clogged and not allowing it to pull its own fuel to start the machine. try spraying carb and seeing if it will start. If so, the carb needs cleaned . you can also pour a small amount of gas into the cylinder