JohnF2015, Small Engine Technician
Experience:  Owner/Service Technician at S & J Small Engines

I have a Generac model 0055040 Ser.#5196457. It starts and

Customer Question

I have a Generac model(###) ###-#### Ser.#5196457. It starts and runs for a couple of seconds then dies. If I remove air filter and hold a finger over one of the intake ports it will stay running. A local tech looked at it and says the mags are rusty resulting in a week spark which won't allow the motor to run. He wants almost $2000. to repair it. Any other suggestions or is he correct.? We have had it for several years and weekly auto starts have working fine until a couple months ago. Gary
Submitted: 1 month ago.
Category: Small Engine
Expert:  JohnF2015 replied 1 month ago.

Hi, my name is***** will be assisting you.

Holding your finger over one of the intake ports makes me think that the unit is just not getting enough fuel to keep it running on its own. You are basically force choking the engine to keep it running when you hold your finger over it like that. It takes a lot of rust to cause any running issues and since you can make it run by holding your finger over an intake port I seriously doubt that his solution is the answer for you.

I believe that you will find it to be a fuel issue rather than a rust issue.

Thank you it has been a pleasure to assist you.

Please take a moment to rate your experience.