Curtis B.
Curtis B., Technician
Experience:  have worked on and around most engine models for 35 yrs./Polaris ATV expert

I have a Deere with a 22 hp Kawasaki engine. It will only

Customer Question

I have a John Deere with a 22 hp Kawasaki engine. It will only run for approx. 30 seconds before sputtering and dying. I have replaced the fuel filter, and replaced the gas. The engine seems to run smoothly when fully choked, but dies when the choke is opened. I'm stumped.
JA: Can you guesstimate how old the engine is? And has it done anything like this in the past?
Customer: 4 years old. No, just started yesterday.
JA: Do you plan on doing the work yourself?
Customer: Yes
JA: Anything else we should know to help you best?
Customer: No, that's it.
Submitted: 1 month ago.
Category: Small Engine
Expert:  Curtis B. replied 1 month ago.

Welcome to JUST ANSWER small engines, let me try to help you !! I don't know it all, but maybe together we can get you a satisfactory answer!

Expert:  Curtis B. replied 1 month ago.

Model number of the Deere? It will have an electric solenoid in the carburetor if it is a carburetor engine. The solenoid closes the main jet in the carburetor, it requires 12 volts as soon as the key is turned on and has to stay open until key is turned off. Check it for voltage and see if it stays retracted.

Expert:  Curtis B. replied 1 month ago.

I see question is still open, did you see my response?