Curtis B.
Curtis B., Technician
Experience:  have worked on and around most engine models for 35 yrs./Polaris ATV expert
30244710

I have a craftsman 26hp 54" 917.287320. i was mowing and the

Customer Question

Hello. I have a craftsman 26hp 54"###-##-#### i was mowing and the deck/blades stopped. I replaced the electric clutch and it still did not work. i them replaced the switch. When I turned on the switch the engine died and would not even turn over to restart. i checked the engine fuse and still nothing. what else can i check
Category: Small Engine
Expert:  Curtis B. replied 2 months ago.

Welcome to JUST ANSWER small engines, let me try to help you !! I don't know it all, but maybe together we can get you a satisfactory answer!

With engine OFF and pto switch off, can you rotate the deck belt and spindles for the blades, Deck is not locked up? If you turn the key on, and flip the pto switch on and off, do you hear the pto clutch magnet click in?

Do you have a voltmeter or test light to check the wires from the switch to the pto clutch? I see no operator presence relay that are on some Sears mowers, but not on this one, just the pto switch and the harness from switch to the clutch.

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
thank you for your reply. the deck is not locked up. after i installed the clutch and switch i started the engine. when i thru the pto switch the engine died and would not turn over and no clicking sound. the hour meter lights up but thats it. i checked the fuse and it appeared ok. maybe i should just put a new fuse in. but its dead as a door nail

If you flip key on and off, do you hear the click of the fuel solenoid in the carburetor? If it clicks, the fuse is good.

No voltmeter? Have you checked and cleaned the battery cables?

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
I can call tomorrow when there is sunlight. the mower is outside and computer is inside. i can check what you suggested and i can test w voltmeter in the morning. i can easily install a new fuse

OK> Let me know.

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
give me a min and i will go out and check for clicks and install new fuse

OK>

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
installed new fuse. i hear fuel s click but will not turn over

OK, so fuse is good, sounds like safety switch, seat, brake or pto switch is not completing the start circuit. Is it possible battery is too dead to engage the starter? Can you jump the solenoid and get engine to spin??

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
when i thru the PTO switch earlier and the engine died. could that have burned up a safety switch in seat, brake, or burned up ignition key switch. The battery might be a little weak but it has started every time before. i will try to jump starter selinoid right now

OK>

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
i jumped the starter and the engine will turn over
Customer: replied 2 months ago.
i have had a problem in the past burning up engine fuse when i turn on ignition key. i replaced fuse and it would start. i have suspected that the ignition switch has a flaw

So battery and starter are ok, so it has to be safety switch or the keyswitch.

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
ok. i think its the key switch. if i replace the key switch and it starts then that problem is solved. How do i check PTO switch
Customer: replied 2 months ago.
the clutch has not worked with new PTO switch installed. it did work briefly with old switch

To test switch unplug the pto and turn key on, and turn pto switch on. Brake will need to be locked down to let pto switch work, then check for voltage in the wire harness going to the new clutch. You didn't see any heat damage to the pto switch harness?

Getting late, need to go to bed. I will be back on in the AM.

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
i have not seen any heat damage. i am not sure i understand. so, I unplug PTO switch and turn key on. Do i then plug PTO switch back in and then test. I did not turn on key before i plugged PTO switch in. the key was off when i plugged the PTO in
Customer: replied 2 months ago.
thank you for your help tonight. tomorrow will be fine. sleep well

Good morning

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
Good morning Curtis. any thoughts on my last comments before I leave for an hour to retrieve my voltmeter. I lent it to my brother last month and he never returned it. Go figure

Not unplug the switch but the electric clutch!

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
OK. I will try that. I am trying to locate a key switch available here in San Antonio today. That might be hard. not many parts in stock in stores these days.

OK<

see question is still open, did you get the new switch?