Curtis B.
Curtis B., Technician
Experience:  have worked on and around most engine models for 35 yrs./Polaris ATV expert
30244710

I have a 7kw generator that I feed into my electrical panel

Customer Question

I have a 7kw generator that I feed into my electrical panel at my lake cabin during power outages. I manufactured a special plug with two male ends and feed the power (240v) into my cabin's panel through a 240 outlet normally used for my welder. I have done this during 3 04 4 power outages without a problem. Then the power company did an intentional outlet, and when I hooked up my generator (and yes the main breaker on the panel was "off" to prevent backfeed into the grid) a couple of my appliances burst into flames. I determined that some (or possibly all) my 120v outlets were now 240v. I put a tester on my panel and found that my neutral bar was now hot, and 120v, which caused my 120v outlets to become 240v. I note that the neutral wire on my panel was not disconnected by the main breaker-as I said I have used my generator on previous occasions
during "natural" outages (a tree across the line for instance) with no problem The only difference that I could see during this planned outages was that the lineman used a cable to jump from the high tension line directly to the low (post transformer) line in order to prevent them from getting shocked by guys with generators back-feeding power into the grid. Again, that wasn't me, I am aware of the danger and always flip the main breaker off when using the generator to power the house. Now I am afraid to use my generator for the house, and I very much want to understand what happened.
Category: Small Engine
Expert:  Hank F. replied 7 months ago.

Hello, my name is ***** ***** I am going to assist you with this.

What are the model and serial numbers of the genset?