Curtis B.
Curtis B., Technician
Experience:  have worked on and around most engine models for 35 yrs./Polaris ATV expert
30244710

I have a 18hp Kawasaki engine that won't stop surging. I've

Customer Question

I have a 18hp Kawasaki engine that won't stop surging. I've replaced the anti backfire solenoid and cleaned the carb several times. Also replaced all the fuel lines and filter. Engine is liquid cooled.
JA: Can you guesstimate how old the engine is? And has it done anything like this in the past?
Customer: I'm guessing it's around 2004 on a Kubota tg1860g. I had trouble getting it started 3 months ago and been fighting ever since
JA: Do you plan on doing the work yourself?
Customer: I have been up till now
JA: Anything else we should know to help you best?
Customer: I've checked the fuel pump and it seems ok. I don't seem to have much pressure on my main coolant line .. not sure if that's related. I checked the gap on the valves. There at .0010" seems big to me but apparently that's spec
Category: Small Engine
Expert:  Curtis B. replied 5 months ago.

Welcome to JUST ANSWER small engines, let me try to help you !! I don't know it all, but maybe together we can get you a satisfactory answer!

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
Thanks I'm open to suggestions

This is a twin engine, Have you ran a cylinder balance test? Loosen the soar plug wires and with engine idling, remove one wire at a time, engine should continue to run, if engine dies when wire is removed, the opposite cylinder is not firing. Check for spark and compression.

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
Compression tested at 150 psi per cylinder

OK, but is it firing on both cylinders?

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
Just pulled plug wire off while running. Engine rpm almost smoother when running on one cylinder

Both sides the same?

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
I have spark on both sides. Need eather in air intake to start
Customer: replied 5 months ago.
Both sides do the same thing when I pull the wires off. Engine continues to run (maybe a little smoother)

Good spark, fuel is there, compression is good, valves are set. You say it started all at once? Intake gaskets good, not leaking?

I would remove the flywheel and replace the timing key!

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
Is the timing key a wear part?

No,not a wear part, but if it gets any damage, it throws off the timing and will make engine hard to start.

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
K I'll have a look

OK>

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
Curtis.. timing key doesn't appear to be damaged

Did you replace it? It can not have ANY damage.

I see question is still open, did you find probelm? You say it will not start without ether? That makes me think that is is not getting fuel. You say you replaced the backfire solenoid? Take the old one and cut the inner tip off and install it as a dummy, and run test.