Curtis B.
Curtis B., Technician
Experience:  have worked on and around most engine models for 35 yrs./Polaris ATV expert
30244710

Model 7235. 3 point hitch will not raise or lower. Has

Customer Question

Model 7235. 3 point hitch will not raise or lower. Has gotten this way over a period of time. Now has no movement at all
Category: Small Engine
Expert:  Curtis B. replied 2 months ago.

Welcome to JUST ANSWER small engines, let me try to help you !! I don't know it all, but maybe together we can get you a satisfactory answer!

When it was working, would it hold up a load, or did it leak down? Do all other functions work ok? Hydrostat transmission? Front end loader? My first thought is that the seals on the three point piston have failed and the piston needs a new seal ring.

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
The transmission works fine. There are no apparent seal leaks, no fluid leakage. It has always been very capable of lifting a load. The operating lever on the right side of the seat is in about mid position and doesn't move. All the linkage is free to the point that it enters the gear casing.

You say operating lever does not move? As in stuck?

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
It seem so but it is not. I have removed the seat and all sheet metal over the area. You can see that the linkage is free to operate as I push or pull the lever. The problem seems to be inside the gear case or after that same small shaft comes out the other side of the gear case.

The three point housing needs to be removed. Are you prepared to do that? I would remove the housing, that gives access to the inner linkage and will let you check the piston seals on the lift cylinder piston.

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
If the seals are leaking would that prevent the lever from moving? It seems to me that the lever should still operate and there would be low or no pressure to raise or lower the lifting arms/links at the implement hitch points in that case.

No, the seals would not keep the lever from moving, but to get to the linkage, you are going to have it off, and I would check the piston.

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
As I worked on it last night I did not notice that there is a "housing" to remove, I will check again. I will get back to you after I have had a chance to investigate further.

The whole top of the three point comes off as a unit.

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
Thanks, ***** ***** look for that.

Here is link above.

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
Is there a similar diagram showing the linkage between the operating lever and the point where it enters the gear casing and also for the linkage on the left side of the operator's seat?

Here is link to the linkage and the parts book.

I see question is still open, did you get to remove the cover yet?

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
I have not removed the cover. This looks rather complicated. I am concerned that removing the cover involves disconnecting and removing quite a bit of other "stuff".

Yes it does involve a lot of work!