Curtis B.
Curtis B., Technician
Experience:  have worked on and around most engine models for 35 yrs./Polaris ATV expert
30244710

My 27 HP Briggs & Stratton engine starts and dies. Then it

Customer Question

My 27 HP Briggs & Stratton engine starts and dies. Then it will run just above idle, will not take full power or pull the blades. Only 315 hours and this problem has not improved.
I changed gas, spark plugs, fuel & air filter.
Virgil
Category: Small Engine
Expert:  Curtis B. replied 7 months ago.

Welcome to JUST ANSWER small engines, let me try to help you !! I don't know it all, but maybe together we can get you a satisfactory answer!

Carbureted engine or the fuel injection? If carburetor, it will have a fuel solenoid in the base of the carburetor, best test is to remove it and lug the hole for test. This solenoid has to retract and open the main jet in the carburetor as soon as the key is turned on.

Customer: replied 7 months ago.
The engine sometimes miss and pop. It has run at almost full power for two or three hours then shutdown. Now it takes five or six attempts get the engine to run at idle. This has been a problem since new. Now starts, will not cut grass.

Are both cylinders firing? Check by loosening the spark plug wires and with it idling, remove one wire at a time. If engine dies when wire is removed, the opposite cylinder is not firing. Check for spark, and compression, if it has spark and compression, check the valves, may have a pushrod off?

Customer: replied 7 months ago.
the engine runs normal at idle, however, will not accept full power or pull the blades.

Run the cylinder test, and if it is firing on both sides, then check the fuel solenoid in the base of the carburetor, it may be sticking.

Customer: replied 7 months ago.
Okay, thank you.

Thank you.

I see question is still open. Please use the 5 star rating system to close . and get me credit! Thanks,