Curtis B.
Curtis B., Technician
Experience:  have worked on and around most engine models for 35 yrs./Polaris ATV expert

I have a power washer with a Briggs & Stratton 6.5HP OHV

Customer Question

I have a power washer with a Briggs & Stratton 6.5HP OHV Intek engine. I've had it fo some time and it has never given me a problem starting...until today!! I removed the air intake, filter, carb, and cleaned everything. removed the plug and cleaned. it started for brief seconds and continued to stall. whrn i placed my finger over the choke to close it further, it started and runs...once i remove my finger, or allow too much stalls.
Submitted: 1 month ago.
Category: Small Engine
Expert:  JohnF2015 replied 1 month ago.

Hi, my name is***** will be assisting you.

When you had the carburetor off and cleaned it, Did you clean the three small holes in the bolt/nut that holds the carburetor bowl on? If not this is the most likely cause of your problem. These three small holes act as the main fuel jet for the carburetor, if these become even partially blocked you will not get enough fuel through them in order to keep the engine running properly.

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
all are cleaned....the confusing part is it runs when i have the choke virtually completely blocked!!! once I remove my finger it stalls
Expert:  JohnF2015 replied 1 month ago.

It does that because you aren't getting any or enough fuel through the main jets to keep it running. When you fully choke it by putting your finger over it you are forcing it to draw more fuel and no air.

I believe that you will find that all or at least some of the three holes are blocked or partially blocked.

There are two parallel to one another in the sides of the bolt/nut and then one down through the top center of it.

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
ill check again....
Expert:  JohnF2015 replied 1 month ago.

I would not keep coming back to this however most people don't realize that those holes are in the bolt/nut therefore they never even consider or look at it as being a possible problem.

Let me know what you find once you have had a chance to check it out. You can come back here and continue our conversation then.

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
Customer: replied 1 month ago.
Expert:  JohnF2015 replied 1 month ago.

I am still here. Just taking a moment to review information that may be helpful to you in solving your issue.

Expert:  JohnF2015 replied 1 month ago.

The only other thing that I can suggest is if the carburetor is not mounted properly or tight onto the engine.

I am going to opt out of your question which will allow for one of the other experts here to add any comments or suggestions that they may have.

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
Forget it, just forget the whole transaction. I'll expect a refund