JohnF2015, Small Engine Technician
Experience:  Owner/Service Technician at S & J Small Engines

I have a 27 HP &S on a 66" Swisher ZT that has 29 hours on

Customer Question

I have a 27 HP B&S on a 66" Swisher ZT that has 29 hours on it. About a month ago it started to lose power. It would start fine, but wouldn't accelerate or idle properly. It has progressively gotten worse to the point that now it starts great, but then dies 2 seconds later.
I have changed the fuel, fuel filter, air filter, and have blown the lines from the filter back to the gas tanks.
Any ideas as to what to try next? Do they have a fuel pump that may not be pumping fuel effectively to the engine after starting?
Submitted: 1 month ago.
Category: Small Engine
Expert:  JohnF2015 replied 1 month ago.

Hi, my name is***** will be assisting you.

In answer to your fuel pump question. Yes, they do have a fuel pump on them. It is the round black device that the fuel line goes to from the fuel tank, it is normally mounted above the right side valve cover, it will have three hoses going to it(one from the fuel tank, one to the carburetor and a third one from the valve cover itself).

You may also want to the check the electric fuel solenoid on the bottom of the carburetor, it may be losing voltage once the ignition key is released to the run position. It requires a steady constant voltage to keep it open in order for the engine to run.

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
How would you check the fuel solenoid?
Expert:  JohnF2015 replied 1 month ago.

Unplug the wire that is going to it and check with a voltmeter to make certain that when the key is turned to the on or run position that it has a constant 12 volts coming down to it. Normally this has a connector with two wires coming to it, only one wire is hot the other is a ground. If you put the probes of your voltmeter into both of those wires you should get a steady constant 12 volts with the ignition key in the on position even without the engine running.

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
Thanks John
Expert:  JohnF2015 replied 1 month ago.

You are welcome!!

Thank you it has been a pleasure to assist you.

Please take a moment to rate your experience.