JON, Small Engine Technician
Experience:  Husqvarna Service Tech

My 10 year old Toro 22" Recycler has stopped self

Customer Question

My 10 year old Toro 22" Recycler has stopped self propelling. I replaced the belt and it worked OK for a while, then the drive wheels started jerking and it looked like the gear was not making constant contact with the wheel. The gears in the wheel and on the axle are not broken. The transmission and axle has a lot of play, so it may not be making enough contact with the wheel gear sockets. There is what looks like a thin washer sliding around on the axle, which looks like it is supposed to be part of the wheel bushing/bearing system. The parts drawings did not help me figure out how the assembly is supposed to work.
How do I fix this?
Submitted: 1 month ago.
Category: Small Engine
Expert:  JON replied 1 month ago.

Hi, my name is ***** ***** me review the issue, and I will be more than happy to help resolve it as quickly as possible.

Expert:  JON replied 1 month ago.

How does the belt look?

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
Brand new.
Expert:  JON replied 1 month ago.

If you can see the washer part sliding around you need a new wheel bracket. very common issue on these. I can provide part numbers as soon as I return to the shop if needed, or a link to a site where you can see pics and part numbers.

Expert:  JON replied 1 month ago.

Check out this link and once you pull it apart you can decide which parts you are needing. Most all of these parts are pretty cheap to replace so I would go ahead and rebuild it all so no issues in the near future.

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
I studied the parts list and think that maybe the spring might be missing or broken. It makes sense that the axle would move back and forth less if there were spring tension, but I can not see that there was a spring there. I could not see how to replace it. Is there a video on this?
Customer: replied 1 month ago.
That is part #14, Compression spring, on the parts list.
Expert:  JON replied 1 month ago.

Give me a moment to look this up. Most likely there is no video of replacement.

Expert:  JON replied 1 month ago.

#14 is the spring that causes the keyway to come out on the gear and engage the wheels. Many times you can clean these off and hole out with brake cleaner or replace.

Expert:  JON replied 1 month ago.

This would not cause the transmission to be loose, but could cause the wheels not to engage at all times.