Curtis B.
Curtis B., Technician
Experience:  have worked on and around most engine models for 35 yrs./Polaris ATV expert
30244710

My mower engine is leaking oil. Engine is 22hp &S with 500

Customer Question

My mower engine is leaking oil. Engine is 22hp B&S with 500 hours mounted in a
HUSQVARNA sit down lawn mower. I have faithfully used Mobil One 10 W 40 oil and changed oil and filter every 50 hours. The leak is significant about two ounces per hour and smokes a bunch. I thought maybe oil wasleaking through the rubber seal where the 5049 spin filter is located. I tightened the filter by hand initially the I tightened slightly again per recommended pressures. Still leaks. Wondered about gaskets. tightened those eng bolts reachable. Still Leaks. It pains me to think I have been so careful in operating the engine per tech order to have thi problem. Help Pls. Richard Bono Leawood, KS (###) ###-####.
Category: Small Engine
Expert:  Curtis B. replied 2 months ago.

Welcome to JUST ANSWER small engines, let me try to help you !! I don't know it all, but maybe together we can get you a satisfactory answer!

See the link above. If the leak is in the oil filter area, and it is not the filter. This engine can leak at the seam between the sump and the cylinder block. The gasket between the two sections, will wash out over time, and it has nothing to do with how you take care of it!

If you find it leaking at the seam, the repair is to separate the tow halves and replace the gasket.

I see question is still open, did you see my response?

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
Curtis I responded that I had received your assessment with a Thank You. I have sent the vehicle to a local mower shop. the plan is to 'evaluate' the engine with a pressure check and locate the source of the leak and open it up examine the state of the gasket(s) and repair as necessary. Estimate $400. Of course it may be irreparable. I'm waiting for the call. Thank you again.. I flew Air Force fighter jets for 25 years, so I'm use to hot running engines,pressure issues, lube problems and critical temps. Thanks mucho, Richard J Bono Ltc USAF Retired.

Thank you. To get credit for the answer, I have to get a posiitve rating from you on the 5 star system. I think you will find the gasket between the two halves will be eroded.