Curtis B.
Curtis B., Technician
Experience:  have worked on and around most engine models for 35 yrs./Polaris ATV expert

I have a Deere 425 tractor. Fuel is getting into bowl so the

Customer Question

I have a John Deere 425 tractor. Fuel is getting into bowl so the foat and needle valve is working correctly and naturally the fuel pump is working correctly. The problem is fuel is not going into engine and so the mower tractor will not start. Now if I squirt starter fluid or gas down the carberator I can get the engine to start and idle. So what it not working? Dan
JA: Do you have fuel in the tank? If so, is the shut-off valve open and the fuel clean?
Customer: Yes. Good fuel in the tank. Not sure what the shut-off valve is, but if I take the fuel hose off the carberator and turn on the ignition, fuel shoots out the hose real strong
JA: Do you plan on doing the work yourself?
Customer: Yes. I replaced the fuel filter, fuel hose, checked the float, needle valve, all test correctly
JA: Anything else we should know to help you best?
Customer: No, it has run perfect for several months but then one day it would not start and that is when I started to replace filter and hose since those 2 items are not expensive and easy to swap out
Submitted: 1 month ago.
Category: Small Engine
Expert:  Curtis B. replied 1 month ago.

Welcome to JUST ANSWER small engines, let me try to help you !! I don't know it all, but maybe together we can get you a satisfactory answer!

Expert:  Curtis B. replied 1 month ago.

Is there an electric solenoid in the base of the carburetor? Deere shows that there is one on the newer models of the 425. It plugs the main jet of the carburetor until the key is turned on, and has to stay open at all times the key is on. It requires 12 volts to open and stay open. Ths would keep the fule from the cylinders. See link below for solenoid. # 26 in this model.

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
I believe there is a solenoid at the base of the carburetor. Is there a way to test this part?
Customer: replied 1 month ago.
This 425 was made in 1998
Expert:  Curtis B. replied 1 month ago.

Do you have 12 volts to it with the key on? And if you remove it and have the wire attached, does it retract when key is turned on?

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
Good things to try tomorrow. If it fails, Will my John Deere dealer know what to order if I provide the information you outlined?
Expert:  Curtis B. replied 1 month ago.

Yes, it is a common part. Or you can purchase from a Kawasaki dealer or from Ebay. Or you could remove the tip and use it as a dummy! It is anti-backfire solenoid, it keeps the engine from backfiring when engine is turned off hot. Deere # is MIU11222---Solenoid

Expert:  Curtis B. replied 1 month ago.

I see question is still open, did you get the solenoid ?