Curtis B.
Curtis B., Technician
Experience:  have worked on and around most engine models for 35 yrs./Polaris ATV expert

Onan Microlite KV 2800 spec gas generator serial FA26100B

Customer Question

Onan Microlite KV 2800 spec B gas generator serial FA26100B runs great but dies when heats up. Fuel still pumps but no spark. It will start again eventually once it fully cools off. (Oil is full, gas tank is full)
Submitted: 1 month ago.
Category: Small Engine
Expert:  Curtis B. replied 1 month ago.

Welcome to JUST ANSWER small engines, let me try to help you !! I don't know it all, but maybe together we can get you a satisfactory answer!

Expert:  Curtis B. replied 1 month ago.

Can be the coil failing. But spark can be affected by oil sensor or shutoff by the panel. To check you need to remove the kill wire from the coil when it has no spark, and if it still has no spark with kill wire removed, the coil is bad and needs replaced. But it it now does have spark, the oil sensor or the other generator functons can be killing the spark.

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
Kill wire to the coil? There is only 1 wire to the coil that I can see...
Customer: replied 1 month ago.
Also the genset is still in the RV so I can't easily remove the cover... fortunately if it is just the coil that is accessible without removal!
Customer: replied 1 month ago.
Oh and one other thing I noticed, when I let go of the start switch it sparks once! When the spark plug was in the engine that would cause it to fire once...
Expert:  Curtis B. replied 1 month ago.

Yes, kill wire is the only wire on the coil. As for the spark when key is released is common occurrence caused by voltage feedback from condenser.

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
OK that doesn't make sense, according to the service manual the only terminal on the coil is for the primary winding. I don't understand how it can spark with the primary winding disconnected?
Expert:  Curtis B. replied 1 month ago.

Primary wiring is the spark plug cable, the coil has another smaller wire, which is for the kill function, and has to be grounded out to kill engine. Otherwise engine could not be killed.

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
OK, this is not working out... we are not successfully communicating about this nearly 30 year old generator. I have a copy of the service manual and it clearly shows in the diagram the primary wire (small), the secondary (spark plug wire) and the ground wire. There is no kill wire, the kill circuit must be controlled by a control board or something. Oh and now that the evening has cooled off here the generator is running again, but only when that small wire the manual shows as primary is connected.
Expert:  Curtis B. replied 1 month ago.

I will opt out. Have a great day.