JON
JON, Small Engine Technician
Experience:  Husqvarna Service Tech
94737911

I have a Deere LT 160 and the engi9ne wires, where there are

Customer Question

I have a John Deere LT 160 and the engi9ne wires, where there are 4 joining at a connector are over heating and helting the plastic. THoughts?
JA: Can you guesstimate how old the engine is? And has it done anything like this in the past?
Customer: Nothing like this in the past and it's about 600 hrs old.
JA: Do you plan on doing the work yourself?
Customer: If possible
JA: Anything else we should know to help you best?
Customer: Everything else is fine
Category: Small Engine
Expert:  Curtis B. replied 7 months ago.

Welcome to JUST ANSWER small engines, let me try to help you !! I don't know it all, but maybe together we can get you a satisfactory answer!

What are the wires coming from? Wires over heating is caused by too much amperage . Either from the charging system or from the pto clutch.

Customer: replied 7 months ago.
There is a white plug connector with two white wires and a black and a brown wire on one side about 3 inches long that go directly to the engine. On the other side of the connector there are two Browns a white and a red wire that go into the charging system light and Battery. It is the brown wire from the engine that is overheating and melting the connector. Thanks
Customer: replied 7 months ago.
2 white wires and a black and a brown are about 3 inches long and they go from a white connector to the engine. On the other side of the white connector there are also 4 wires, 2 brown 1 white and 1 red that go to the electrical system. It is the brown wire that goes from the engine to the connector that is melting and melting the connector. Thanks

In the link below, the Kohler engine shows the brown wire to go to the ignition coil and the spark advance module. Looks like problem with the wire itself, or bad coil.

Customer: replied 7 months ago.
The wire looks fine except where it has melted the insulation and white connector. Also, the batter, which is new, will not turn the engine over. If I use a jumper batter the engine will start fine. But, as I mentioned the wire gets hot!

You may have a bad ground, and it is using the brown wire as an alternate to the ground source. Check the negative battery cable to the frame connection.

Customer: replied 7 months ago.
Thank you, ***** ***** wire is just fine.

I will opt out and see if you will get a better answer. Sorry I can't help. Please do not respond to me or it will lock the question.

Expert:  JON replied 7 months ago.

What is the model of the engine and spec. Kohler had a replacement ignition module due to this issue. It was never considered a recall as it should have been, but your engine may fall in this category.

Customer: replied 7 months ago.
The decal on the engine says: Family: 1KHXS.4902GB
Displ. (CC) 460Does this help? Thanks, Gary
Expert:  JON replied 7 months ago.

I was away from shop today, but can double check tomorrow when I get in the shop

Customer: replied 7 months ago.
Thank you, I'll look forward to your response tomorrow.Gary
Expert:  JON replied 7 months ago.

They were unable to confirm the ignition coil replacement. I will OPT out and see if another expert may be able to give you more details on this issue and solve your problem