Donald
Donald, Small Engine Technician
Experience:  I have 25+ years of experience repairing 2 & 4 cycle engines
72377906

I have a honda motor that will not run properly without the

Customer Question

I have a honda motor that will not run properly without the choke half on. It will not start unless the choke is full on.I have cleaned the carby and blown out all passages with air . Air filter is new as is plug.
JA: Do you have fuel in the tank? If so, is the shut-off valve open and the fuel clean?
Customer: Fuel is clean and flowing from tank through the supply hose. The filter at the fuel tap is clean.
JA: Do you plan on doing the work yourself?
Customer: Hope to yes
JA: Anything else we should know to help you best?
Customer: The engine has very little hours on it. It was left with fuel in it for about 6 months. This fuel was drained out
Category: Small Engine
Expert:  Donald replied 8 months ago.

Hello. Thank you for choosing Just Answer. My name is***** will be happy to assist you.

Expert:  Donald replied 8 months ago.

What is your engine mounted on? What horsepower is your engine?

Customer: replied 8 months ago.
The engine is a 6.5hp. It is mounted on a fire fighter pump
Expert:  Donald replied 8 months ago.

Thanks for your response. Although you have already cleaned your carburetor, it is still very likely that you have either a partially clogged jet, or a partially clogged fuel passage in the body of your carburetor.

Expert:  Donald replied 8 months ago.

I would disassemble your carburetor, and allow it to soak in a good quality carburetor cleaner. Afterwards, I would use a small wire and some carburetor cleaner in a can, to clean the small jet and fuel passages in the body of your carburetor.

Expert:  Donald replied 8 months ago.

Also, you may consider replacing your carburetor, if a good cleaning does not resolve our problem. There are some very inexpensive new Honda carburetors listed on eBay. We can continue from here.

Customer: replied 8 months ago.
Thank you for your help. A new carby sounds like the answer.
Expert:  Donald replied 8 months ago.

You are very welcome! I do hope all goes well for you. If you need additional assistance, please let me know. I will happy to continue.